Bum toilet seat

aren't ALL toilet seats for bums?

To solve your particular problem,you could apply a thin layer of clear or white silicone RTV to the tank lid where it contacts the seat,to act as a cushion,but not be noticable. Maybe just a dab of white RTV will do ya.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Get a short roll of 3M 8672 from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty for 20 bucks. Comes black or clear. It's less than .01 inch thick and is designed to protect airplane parts from flying dust--it's very, very, very durable. Cut a little button of it and put it in the appropriate place--personally I'd use the black to make it an accent. It's thin enough that it won't interfere with operation, durable enough that you're not going to wear it out, and the rest of the roll is a handy thing to have around.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Either a stick-on bumper or a tiny dab of clear silicone...if the silicone doesn't go on absolutely smoothe, it can be shaved down with a razor blade. Or make a small stencil and just apply a couple of extra coats of clear finish on the spot that touches the tank.

Maple toilet seat? What luxury :o)

Reply to
norminn

I'd go with a small dab of clear silicone on the tank, where the seat hits it. When cured, cut it off to a very minimal thickness and it'd never be noticed.

Reply to
Nonny

wrote

I knew a couple guys who had a clear cast toliet seat cover with a big marijauna leaf in it.

Apparently owning such an item was semi legal because the leaf could not be smoked.

Making them on the other hand...

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Maybe a different mount assembly, then? One that will hold the seat up on its own?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Why didn't I think of that? ;o) Great idea!

Reply to
norminn

Drape some velvet over the tank lid?

..."doily - A small ornamental piece of lace or linen or paper used to protect a surface from scratches by hard objects such as vases or bowls; or to decorate a plate of food."

Reply to
Oren

How about a tank cover? They seem to be out of fashion but they should be available somewhere.

Reply to
krw

Wrap the seat in duct tape?

More seriously, that's got to be a lot of lid banging to do that much damage. I'm thinking you need some hard plastic like what they use for making burger flippers.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That wear is from people leaning back. You need a smaller lid... hopefully, you don't have a 1.6 gal tank.

Reply to
Father Haskell

At the Borg one can find toilet seats & lids with slow closing lids. IIRC, the seats also close slowly and can be up in pretty much any position a few degrees short of 90. Go play with them. If you find something that meets your needs, either buy the whole thing and substitute your seat or get hold of the manufacturer and ask if they will sell you just the hardware.

Reply to
Rumple Stiltskin

Too expensive, too complicated. The obvious, most elegant solution is to toss the lid.

Reply to
Father Haskell

To a hardcore woodworker, that is like asking them to toss a child. He put a chunk of his soul in making the thing. Just sayin'

Reply to
aemeijers

No, never. Give it a dignified end, by framing it and hanging it over the fireplace.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Yeah - sometimes. But sometimes not. Even the most hardcore woodworker knocks out some utilitarian stuff from time to time. No real heart and soul in the thing. One can over romaticize this stuff.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

How can one "over romanticize" a tiger maple toilet seat? The mere thought gives me palpitations :o) Seriously, that would be a tough project, made to last.

Reply to
norminn

Well I do have to agree that it would be a project. Calling the wife out to the shop frequently to test fit. Running your hands over the smoothness of it - and then checking the tiger maple too.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Even though my wife is quite petite she has never fallen in. No splinters either :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Bolt on a neck and a set of pickups, make an electric guitar out of it.

Reply to
Father Haskell