bullet resistant sheet rock

Make guns illegal in your home. The government says this works.
On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 15:45:18 -0400, 4564 wrote:

That's a good idea. I'm going to put up a sign. Maybe put a box right next to the front door whenre they can leave their guns.
But some of my acquaintances are too young to read, and some never learned how, so I'm going to seriously consider the Kevlar sheet rock. Price is really not a concern when one's life is at stake.
I appreciate all the suggestions.

The gun box will need to be heavy, fortified, and mounted... like an ATM. You want something that might resemble a mail box array, with keys and locks.
The box will need a vertical door to hold rifles and shotguns. Then four individual drawer doors for pistols and ammo.
Leave keys in the doors, so the depositor has their own key while in the house.
You could put a steel door over the boxes; then open the main door, so the person with the key opens the box while you're present. You get some degree of gun control.
-- Oren

"kevlar sheet rock" is NOT going to stop bullets. kevlar depends on many layers and deformation to stop bullets;put it on a solid surface,and bullets go thru easier.But No soft body armor stops RIFLE bullets.For that,"trauma plates" are needed,ceramic/titanium rigid armor.
Now,one guy DID make a spaced composite armor from concrete and steel plates,welded a big box of it on a small bulldozer,and went amok with it,driving it thru several buildings,police could not shoot thru it.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I just don't understand why you cannot make a pointed cap from aluminum foil!!? Then you can handle alien bullets.
-- Oren

Easier to plug all your lights into a clapper. When the fight starts, shoot your gun twice and all the lights go out.

How much shooting do you plan on doing in your house?
On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 22:40:49 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I was watching a documentary on TV called "24" and there was a lot of shooting in one of their houses, and I just want to be prepared.
Some woman shot at Mr. Bauer, and then hid behind a large square post at the foot of the stairs, and he shot right through the sheetrock where she was hiding, and hit her. I don't want that to happen to me.

The head of the US Homeland Security Michael Chertoff is a big fan of "24". In an interview on a talk radio program, he said that he wished we had an operations center as nice as CTU.
[8~{} Uncle Monster

The heck with bulletproof sheetrock; I want the bulletproof refrigerator door (as seen in Mr. and Mrs. Smith and in Gross Pointe Blank).
Cindy Hamilton

They used to make .38 bullets that were loaded very lightly so it would stop after about 2 sheets of sheetrock -- so if you fired one in a house complex it wouldn't go through 15 apartments. Now, I guess you'd just have to use wadcutters or something extremely aggressive that would blow apart when it hits the sheetrock. It'll produce a bit of shrappnal, but not too much.
Also, they make a kevlar house wrap, but that only protects you if the bad/good guys are outside firing in.
If you can afford it, a collapsing floor seems to work well. You just need to make sure you install it under the bad guys and keep the handle nearby -- someplace you can dive (and pull in mid-air) while they are shooting at you. Then you have a basement full of bad buys, but the police will appear in the nick of time.
Your best option is probably a can of hairspray and a lighter. That always seems to work on TV. Plus maybe a good frying pan.
... oh, and cancel your plans to have Bruce Willis over for dinner.
On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 14:31:24 -0000, Pat

You have a lot of ideas.
I think the best one for me is to make a new sign. "Only light loads permitted indoors". I have almost finished my first sign. Now all that work is for nothing, except now I won't have to build that fancy box to hold their guns that someone recommended..

Forget the signs and all the work for just one message.
Make a set of flash cards with pictures and rotate the current policy (card) to the front. If the visitor reads well; maybe, even a LED Marquee with changing messages.
As for the gun box, they can secure weapons in their car trunks.
-- Oren

I think Don's new house might have a magnetrometer that looks for fast- moving, hunks of steel, like someone drawing a gun. If it finds it, it sets off a load boom and bright flash to disorient the person until he can go over and kick the crap out of them. Then he'll fill their mouth with hummus and subject then to track lighting.

Note re Don. He's mostly in alt.architecture. It's a private joke sort of.

IIRC that last part is outlawed by the Geneva Convention and has been deemed Cruel and Unusual Punishment by the Supreme Court.
Pat wrote:

The modern equivalent is called a "frangible" round, of which Glazer Safety Rounds is a good example. These bullets are designed to stop at the first thing they hit by literally exploding into hundreds of small pieces.
The object is to dissipate all their kinetic energy immediately. They do not over-penetrate nor do they ricochet.

Back in the day, Troopers used to carry 2 light-load 38 shells followed by 3 hefty 357s figuring if they got past the need for 2 shots, they got past the need for light loads.

Now the mantra is two in the chest and one in the head, for the modern equivalent of the same reasoning.

trouble with that is;different ammo hits in different places,not all ammo has the same accuracy in a particular gun. Of course,most police can't shoot very well anyways.
Most important is shot placement.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik