bullet resistant sheet rock

Where could I get bullet resistant sheet rock, to use in my upcoming remodeling?

I'm watching a tv documentary right now, and two people are in a gun fight in a home, and one hides behind the 2 foot x 2 foot plaster post at the bottom of the stairs, but the other person shoots right through it.

I don't want that to happen to me.

Reply to
mm

From a "gun group" I found a site called the "Box o' Truth" in which a guy described what happened when the fired various weapons through various materials and objects include sheet rock (and, for fun, jugs of water).

His first "test" was with 12 sheets of 5/8" drywall. This is the report:

"First, I shot it with my M-17 S&W, .22 LR HP. It penetrated 6 sheets and bounced off the seventh sheet. That would be the equivalent of 3 interior walls. And that's only a .22 pistol."

It's a GREAT site.

It's it hollow and the shooter has something more powerful than a .22", the plaster (actually, sheet rock in anything built in the last 40 years) will not provide much protection.

Back when I had my military training the instructors spoke of "Cover" and "Concealment." "Cover" means something that will stop an accurately aimed round before it hits you. "Concealment" means that the enemy will not be able to accurately aim. Anything short of a foot or two of soil just isn't reliable "cover."

As others have pointed out, just don't get anyone angry!

Reply to
John Gilmer

Much cheaper and more effective to just insist on non-wall-penetrating ammunition (for both you and your opponent).

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Quite having gun fights in our home!

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Well OK, Mike. Sounds like you live in a very interesting area!

But I was going to suggest that she learn to shoot straight, accurate, and first.

Reply to
Grandpa

If you liberally decorate the room with glassware, bottles, vases, mirrors and the like, the bullets will be attracted to them and you won't have to worry about anything more than a flesh wound to an unimportant part of your body.

RicodJour

I can't promise to quit, Mike. Some of your friends are not friendly.

Reply to
mm

What calibers are we talking about?

Wimpy 9's or .357's or .44's or .45's? Or 12ga?

My suggestion would be two layers of 1/2" wonderboard covered with thinner drywall but even this system wouldn't much good for multiple hits.

If you're serious you'll need to do some more research.

A "layered" armor approach might be worth considering; wonder board, light gage steel sheet, wonder board, drywall.

The placement of the steel would need ot be evaluated; sandwiched or nearer the surfacer

If you're in a seismic area & you've got a 2 story this will drive up your lateral system demands.

Maybe modified furniture could supply your desired cover? Hey, you never know ......making the whole house bullet resistant (BR) also gives the bad guy cover :)

How about BR walls for the bathrooms & bedrooms (safety rooms) & don't forget the doors.

Or you could just put up signs..........."no gun play in the house"

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

The one hiding behind the post had shot first, but not accurately. Then she hid.

How did you know that one was a she? Were you also watching "24"?

(It's starting again now, on a different channel!)

Reply to
mm

Good point. I never realized how that worked until you just explained it.

I'd still like to get some steel-lined sheetrock.

Reply to
mm

What part of

"DONT' FEED THE TROLLS"

are you to stupid to understand?

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

What part of

"DON'T FEED THE TROLLS" are you too stupid to understand?

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

I came across this information:

Location: Gainesville , GA Markets: Direct Notes: none Product: Formable Kevlar material for expedient wall protection Product name: Millibar Web site: none Test data available: null POC: Dan Gallucci (770) 844-9438 and fax (770) 844-9438 E-Mail: none

Millibar, developed by New Necessities of Gainesville, Ga., is a high- wind, severe-storm, and seismic structural reinforcement ribbon made of Kevlar. Kevlar, also used for bulletproof vests, is one of the strongest materials available: It has a tensile strength of 525,000 psi vs. 36,000 psi for steel. Millibar-reinforced spaces can survive falling trees and flying debris.

The company has developed a "Sanctuary Saferoom" plan that uses the material and traditional building materials to "create an armored bunker within the structure." The company also sells what it calls "armored wallpaper," in 4-foot-by-8-foot sheets.

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Reply to
unclemon

Come on!

It's a FUN topic. Everyone enjoyed it but you.

Reply to
John Gilmer

I bet the guy in Robocop who held the woman he and his friends had been molesting as a shield wished that the woman's skirt had been made of bulletproof fibers so that Robocop couldn't have fired right through the skirt into his grown.

Reply to
Harlan Messinger

bwaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahah!

Reply to
Meat Plow

I insulate my house with kevlar, so I need not worry about a gunfight in my home! How often does a gunfight occur in homes these days? If your that concerned about a gunfight in your house then I would suggest moving to a safer environment and quit selling the drugs in the crack house!

In my home there would only be ONE shot, that would be my .45 at the intruder. I'll just have to make sure the bullet lodges in his spine on its way through the heart!

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

mm is not a troll. He was being humorous. Perhaps the term escapes you...?

You may want to consider posting when sober. Thanks.

RicodJour

What happens if the intruder is a ninja and can swat bullets out of mid air with their nunchakus? Won't you feel silly!

RicodJour

Kevlar is a little expensive.

I'd pick one spot in the home and create a barrier by filling the wall cavity between the sheet rock with whatever building material I could find cheap. That could be concrete, bricks, paving stones, sand, rocks.....

A really nice one would have a 4x6 inch bullet proof glass and right beneath a steel plate with a hole just big enough for your barrel.

Reply to
ValveJob