bullet resistant sheet rock

Page 1 of 4
Where could I get bullet resistant sheet rock, to use in my upcoming remodeling?
I'm watching a tv documentary right now, and two people are in a gun fight in a home, and one hides behind the 2 foot x 2 foot plaster post at the bottom of the stairs, but the other person shoots right through it.
I don't want that to happen to me.
From a "gun group" I found a site called the "Box o' Truth" in which a guy described what happened when the fired various weapons through various materials and objects include sheet rock (and, for fun, jugs of water).
His first "test" was with 12 sheets of 5/8" drywall. This is the report:
"First, I shot it with my M-17 S&W, .22 LR HP. It penetrated 6 sheets and bounced off the seventh sheet. That would be the equivalent of 3 interior walls. And that's only a .22 pistol."
It's a GREAT site.
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot1.htm
Bottom line: Sheet rock ain't bullet proof!

It's it hollow and the shooter has something more powerful than a .22", the plaster (actually, sheet rock in anything built in the last 40 years) will not provide much protection.
Back when I had my military training the instructors spoke of "Cover" and "Concealment." "Cover" means something that will stop an accurately aimed round before it hits you. "Concealment" means that the enemy will not be able to accurately aim. Anything short of a foot or two of soil just isn't reliable "cover."

As others have pointed out, just don't get anyone angry!
John Gilmer wrote:
What part of
"DON'T FEED THE TROLLS" are you too stupid to understand?

Come on!
It's a FUN topic. Everyone enjoyed it but you.
mm writes:

Much cheaper and more effective to just insist on non-wall-penetrating ammunition (for both you and your opponent).

Quite having gun fights in our home!
Mike Dobony wrote:

Well OK, Mike. Sounds like you live in a very interesting area!
But I was going to suggest that she learn to shoot straight, accurate, and first.
--
Grandpa

The one hiding behind the post had shot first, but not accurately. Then she hid.
How did you know that one was a she? Were you also watching "24"?
(It's starting again now, on a different channel!)
On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 23:55:25 -0500, "Mike Dobony"

If you liberally decorate the room with glassware, bottles, vases, mirrors and the like, the bullets will be attracted to them and you won't have to worry about anything more than a flesh wound to an unimportant part of your body.
On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 05:08:01 -0000, RicodJour

Good point. I never realized how that worked until you just explained it.

I'd still like to get some steel-lined sheetrock.

I insulate my house with kevlar, so I need not worry about a gunfight in my home! How often does a gunfight occur in homes these days? If your that concerned about a gunfight in your house then I would suggest moving to a safer environment and quit selling the drugs in the crack house!
In my home there would only be ONE shot, that would be my .45 at the intruder. I'll just have to make sure the bullet lodges in his spine on its way through the heart!
Searcher

What happens if the intruder is a ninja and can swat bullets out of mid air with their nunchakus? Won't you feel silly!
On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 14:39:49 -0000, RicodJour

Good point!

Why do you think they make "concrete board"? D'oh. It is just for tiles anymore.
Concrete board? You think that will stop a bullet. NOT HARLDY. I have 1/4 inch plate steel that looks like swiss cheese and thats from 50 yds!
Searcher'
RicodJour wrote:
What part of
"DONT' FEED THE TROLLS"
are you to stupid to understand?

mm is not a troll. He was being humorous. Perhaps the term escapes you...?
You may want to consider posting when sober. Thanks.

What calibers are we talking about?
Wimpy 9's or .357's or .44's or .45's? Or 12ga?
My suggestion would be two layers of 1/2" wonderboard covered with thinner drywall but even this system wouldn't much good for multiple hits.
If you're serious you'll need to do some more research.
A "layered" armor approach might be worth considering; wonder board, light gage steel sheet, wonder board, drywall.
The placement of the steel would need ot be evaluated; sandwiched or nearer the surfacer
If you're in a seismic area & you've got a 2 story this will drive up your lateral system demands.
Maybe modified furniture could supply your desired cover? Hey, you never know ......making the whole house bullet resistant (BR) also gives the bad guy cover :)
How about BR walls for the bathrooms & bedrooms (safety rooms) & don't forget the doors.
Or you could just put up signs..........."no gun play in the house"
cheers Bob

I came across this information:
Location: Gainesville , GA Markets: Direct Notes: none Product: Formable Kevlar material for expedient wall protection Product name: Millibar Web site: none Test data available: null POC: Dan Gallucci (770) 844-9438 and fax (770) 844-9438 E-Mail: none
Millibar, developed by New Necessities of Gainesville, Ga., is a high- wind, severe-storm, and seismic structural reinforcement ribbon made of Kevlar. Kevlar, also used for bulletproof vests, is one of the strongest materials available: It has a tensile strength of 525,000 psi vs. 36,000 psi for steel. Millibar-reinforced spaces can survive falling trees and flying debris.
The company has developed a "Sanctuary Saferoom" plan that uses the material and traditional building materials to "create an armored bunker within the structure." The company also sells what it calls "armored wallpaper," in 4-foot-by-8-foot sheets.
[8~{} Uncle Monster