bullet hole in siding

Will the OP respond to the question about whether or not a police report was filed for firing into a structure (occupied at the time, or not), and if he has contacted his neighbor's insurance company, or if the insurance company has contacted him?

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

People say never bring a knife to a gunfight, but some knife throwers can throw much faster than a man can draw and fire. There are two scenarios, one where a person has his weapon holstered, and one where the person has drawn his weapon, and is aiming at the assailant. In the first scenario, the knife thrower will always win with an accurate throw, and in the other, the knife thrower will win if there is any hesitation at all on the part of the shooter, or if the shooter misses. There is a really good youtube video of a guy throwing a slightly curved big knife and driving it 6" straight into the chest of a dummy to show that a person with a holstered gun has no chance against a knife thrower. Presently, with all the concealment requirements, getting a gun out and firing when in a panic mode would take a bit of time, unlike the fast draws of the old west, or no matter what anyone tells you about how fast they are with their gun.

I have read about confrontations in my home town of Las Vegas where police officers shot to death people with knives, and I thought why didn't they rush the guy, or use non-lethal, or whatever, that it was kind of chickenshit to shoot a man with a knife. Then I have seen demonstrations where a man with a knife that is 20 feet away from a man armed with a holstered gun can get in a fatal blow before the man could draw his gun. And then there's misses. If the man with the gun misses, he's either gonna get a lot of stitches or worse.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

Maybe over exaggerating but there is some truth. If I was in another country I'd be very puzzled by our foreign policy. Particularly after Vietnam and Iraq. Actually, many Americans are also.

Should we shoot them?

Jim

Reply to
JimT

Guns for hunting or target shooting: Fine. When not in use, keep 'em locked up and unloaded. If you can't do that or handle them safely, you should not be allowed to own them.

Teaching kids gun safety: Good idea, even if you don't have any guns.

Keeping guns for "protection": Unless you're a criminal or live in a particularly bad neighborhood, you're just increasing your chances of injury or death. As pointed out, if you have a gun for protection, it's just about useless if it's locked up or unloaded, so chances are it will be loaded and not locked up. Sure, there will be cases where a gun will protect you, but it's statistically more likely to have the opposite effect - so you're better off without it, particularly if you have kids - despite all of your anecdotal tales of having been around guns since you were in the womb. It's true that if you do keep a gun for protection, the chances are very slim that it will be the implement of an accidental injury - but the chances are even slimmer that you will be injured by an intruder.

The way the original post was worded seems like it was just troll bait and not a valid question. And some of the responders seem like trolls. I hope the trolls are having fun.

-J

As a practical matter, no.

Some ancient wag once observed: "The penis is mightier than the sword," by which he meant they can breed faster than you can kill them.

But on the other hand, most "fun" things are not really practical anyway...

Reply to
HeyBub

And how soon they forget that vegetables are not really food.

Vegetables are what food eats.

Reply to
HeyBub

I see. On Usenet you're honest.

Jim

Reply to
JimT

Who are you to decide who is "allowed to own" guns or how they handle them? I thought so!

Agree.

Ever hear of violent car jacking on a public street? They have noting to do with where one lives, for the most part.

Slim chance of being " injured by an intruder"? Got some link for this? What about a home break-in for the expressed intent of rape?

The OP is not a troll. He has posted here before and his question of his repair was fair and reasonable. More trolls come from Google Groups that any other place.

From your comments I take it you are a left-wing, liberal progressive, feel good kind of guy, gun hater, that gives advice but is not willing to take advice.

Reply to
Oren

Heh.

I found out that at least two generations were gun friendly Democrats. I changed my political views, later. I never got beat with a belt over it. Different times an views, I guess.

Reply to
Oren

Harry, where did you read from the link (above), the poster was in the window? Educated by the Queen or something?

I've visited plenty of antique shops that have collections of Negro art from very different times. The biggest collectors are descendents of slaves. The art goes for large sums of money.

'Course, as you say, in the UK you don't care if blacks shoot blacks. How did you say it: "I'm white"?

Reply to
Oren

I care about Blacks shooting Blacks, they're my neighbors and we look out for each other. I suppose that's unexpected of a White Southerner if you got your impression of the South from watching Hollywood movies and those Damn Yankee news networks. 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

It's a federal law. No one under a domestic violence restraining order may possess a firearm or ammunition [18 USC 922(g)(8) ]

One of the problems is that a divorce petition and answer often include these boilerplate restraining orders.

The penalty for violation of this act is ten years in the Grey Bar Hotel and/or $250,000 fine.

Reply to
HeyBub

Funny how Grandpas can explain things so clearly with just a few words.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I assume that assertion is based on your life experiences. If so, you've never met any normally intelligent people.

That said, I hope you'll entertain a modest correction: It's "jell" not "gell."

I'm not trying to be pedantic here, it's just that folks with normal intelligence try whenever possible to uplift the benighted masses. The White Man's Burden, so to speak.

Reply to
HeyBub

Silly person. They shot it.

Reply to
HeyBub

If I were a vegetarian, I'd keep it confidential too.

Reply to
HeyBub

We're not cowardly; it's the Masia who are actually insane. The difference between a spear and a rifle is one only of degree. For the Masia to "hunt" with a spear is equivalent to taking a knife to a gun fight. Besides, I don't think the Masia actually EAT the lion - instead they are just idle pricks with time on their hands, pretty stupid, and think they are somehow great heroes.

I'm not a hunter. But until you've experienced the thrill of your fingers around a small, furry, neck, don't be so quick to dismiss the project.

Reply to
HeyBub

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 06:52:29 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote Re Re: bullet hole in siding:

Well put.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

I see I've left you speechless.

Don't worry. I am quite certain the condition is temporary.

Reply to
HeyBub

No. This is one of those: Fill in the blank type responses.

Reply to
JimT