bullet hole in siding

Page 5 of 10

I hope you don't mind my asking, but do you know what caused it? My cousin has severe hearing loss in one ear that came about by her mom deliberately exposing her to a kid who had the German measles thinking she was helping by getting the disease "out of the way" early and not realizing that the German measles can have terribly serious consequences, like profound hearing loss, even for kids. Though it's a *very* delicate subject I believe it happened at a time where a lot of parents were deliberately exposing their kids via "chicken pox parties" and the like because some childhood diseases are extremely dangerous if you acquire them in adulthood. I gave the mumps to my Dad and damn near killed him he got so sick.
Of course, in those days, people routinely confused chicken pox with smallpox - I remember because one mom refused to let me play anywhere near their kids once they heard the words "pox."
-- Bobby G.
On 11/14/2010 7:12 AM, Robert Green wrote:

Probably thinking of the "French pox". <G>
Jay

A little too young to have contracted that, (the Spanish-coined term for syphillis).
-- Bobby G.
On 11/11/2010 6:19 PM, Steve B wrote:

I went to Louisiana some years back with a fellow to look at some generators in the hull of a ship being salvaged and met a few real Cajuns. Those guys had a really thick Cajun accent and we went to the local waterfront bar to eat some boiled crawdads and taters that were dumped on the table by the bucket full. 8-)
TDD
On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 19:55:36 -0600, The Daring Dufas

If you ever visit Florida: They dump them on the butcher block table. Just crabs... and a couple of mallets.
I Got MY Crabs At Dirty Nellie's

Eating crabs that have not been cleaned prior to cooking is like eating fish without them being scaled or gutted.
Steve
On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 21:57:55 -0800, "Steve B"

That's a really good point.
Stone Crabs are not killed, by law in Florida. Harvest the largest claw and throw the critter in the water so it can grow another claw we can eat next year.
Size of this stone crab:
http://www.tripsmarter.com/travelinfo/files/key_stone_crabs.jpg

You got the full Monty. Getting in on a real Cajun crawdad cook is a treat. Sometimes in those bars, you can get oysters in season for a dime to a quarter apiece.
Steve

the humidity is like my second favorite thing about Looz eana
first is the fun/food/festival astmosphere year round

Yes, the humidity is my second favorite thing about the Looweezyanna area.
What's my first favorite thing? Everything else. (-:
-- Bobby G.
On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 20:35:09 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

2nd Annual Cajun CoonAss Crawfish Boil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZucKx2PCgk

I'm in Walmart in Lafayette. A middle aged couple are shopping. Man is going to leave cart unattended.
man:
Hunnnnnney, watsh da caht.
woman:
Mais (may) cha (sha), what it's goan doo?
Steve
On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 00:33:39 -0500, The Daring Dufas

I knew a guy that grew up in New York City, who did the same, except he was on the shooting team. Imagine that today.
Guns for hunting or target shooting: Fine. When not in use, keep 'em locked up and unloaded. If you can't do that or handle them safely, you should not be allowed to own them.
Teaching kids gun safety: Good idea, even if you don't have any guns.
Keeping guns for "protection": Unless you're a criminal or live in a particularly bad neighborhood, you're just increasing your chances of injury or death. As pointed out, if you have a gun for protection, it's just about useless if it's locked up or unloaded, so chances are it will be loaded and not locked up. Sure, there will be cases where a gun will protect you, but it's statistically more likely to have the opposite effect - so you're better off without it, particularly if you have kids - despite all of your anecdotal tales of having been around guns since you were in the womb. It's true that if you do keep a gun for protection, the chances are very slim that it will be the implement of an accidental injury - but the chances are even slimmer that you will be injured by an intruder.
The way the original post was worded seems like it was just troll bait and not a valid question. And some of the responders seem like trolls. I hope the trolls are having fun.
-J

Who are you to decide who is "allowed to own" guns or how they handle them? I thought so!

Agree.
Ever hear of violent car jacking on a public street? They have noting to do with where one lives, for the most part.

Slim chance of being " injured by an intruder"? Got some link for this? What about a home break-in for the expressed intent of rape?

The OP is not a troll. He has posted here before and his question of his repair was fair and reasonable. More trolls come from Google Groups that any other place.
From your comments I take it you are a left-wing, liberal progressive, feel good kind of guy, gun hater, that gives advice but is not willing to take advice.
Steve B wrote:

I agree.
To me, the argument comes down to those who are afraid of guns versus those who are wary of criminals, to those who trust in the basic goodness of their fellow man versus those who put their trust in their own judgement and abilities.
On 11/9/2010 4:31 PM, HeyBub wrote:

judgment. Discretion being the better part of valor, I now go out of my way to avoid people and situations where I think the chances of violence are greater than average. Unless I pay a lot of money for a course and a CCL, or deal with the public blowback from carrying openly, sidearms are not an option is this state. My office is a DMZ by federal edict, and I'm not about to leave a firearm in a parked vehicle in that part of town, even inside the perimeter. So, guns are really not a useful option for me in my daily routine.
It's lucky I'm large and scary looking- even when I was young and strong my skill sets for physical self-defense were less than optimal. I could probably count on one hand the times I actually felt physically threatened by anyone, and none of them resulted in anything worse than shoving. Being a meek teddy bear at heart, I of course have never knowingly tried to intimidate anyone else.
I'm not afraid of guns, and even still have a few around here somewhere. But short of an extended vacation to an isolated area, my shooting days are likely over. And I would have to be in pants-wetting fear for my life, or the life of another, to even think about drawing down on someone with a loaded weapon. I can't even clean fish.
--
aem sends...

In my former job, policy was developed for _Calculated Use of Force_. It was like a stair step so to speak. Usually starts with passive resistance. The guy sits down and poses no real threat. No need for force at that point (sit there and get hungry). We called in others that tried to convince him his ways were fruitless (Chaplain, Counselor, Psychologist that kind of stuff).
As his resistance escalated up the "steps", the use of force also went up (physical resistance). Only if the guy became a deadly threat would the use of deadly force be used.
I still live by those notions/training today.

A friend of mine is a marshall. He has a German Shepherd, Bennie, who cost the taxpayers of your county $24,000. My friend flew to Germany to get Bennie.
They had a sitdown strike among the Asian gang at the Correctional Center there on Stewart.
The spokesman for the gang sat down in the middle of the floor, and there was a standoff. My friend came with his dog. He asked the protester to comply. The protester refused.
He walked up to the protester with Bennie right there, just off alert. He knelt down and said very quietly in the protesters ear, "You have the choice to quietly get up and take your friends back to your cells, or I am going to let my dog eat your face off."
He stood up and backed off a few feet. In that culture, to be bettered by a dog would be a disgrace. My friend knew that.
He got up, and signaled, and they all went back peacably to their cells.
A demonstration of your order of Calculated Use of Force.
Steve

I think all people who are anti-gun should post such on a sign in their front lawn.