Bulge in the side of the house?

Page 1 of 2
Yesterday, my husband and I were sitting out on our back patio and we noticed that the siding was bulging out. The bulge is about the size of a basketball, and when I pushed on it, there was no give...the whole area around it was solid too. It's located just under where the ceiling is, but looking inside, there's no cracking or water stains anywhere (upstairs or down).
It's pretty cold here, but not below freezing, and I can't even begin to think of what this might be. I want to get it checked out, but I don't know who/what service would be the best to call in this instance.
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks, Jodi

what material is the siding made of?
your house was sleeping with the neighbor house, now its pregnant. the bad news is the energy bill will go up for a while. the up side is you'll have a storage shed next to the house soon.
randy

And she's not even 10 years old...such a sad society we live in these days.

I know. I don't know if it's legal or not, but we would like very much to see a picture of the swelling bulge.
PJ

... unless both houses are male - in which case it appears her house is gay.

Anyplace nearby where someone would have used spray in expanding foam?
Could it be a bee's nest that was built up over time?
Depends on what the siding is made of.

I'd have a sider come and pull off some siding to see what's underneath...
Jodi wrote:

It is very difficult to tell from the description. Any chance someone had a brazier close it plastic siding?
What kind of siding? Is the siding a round shape? Can you see under it?
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Okay, I finally got some pictures up of The Bulge. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/airjordi/my_photos
I just realized that I must not be too concerned about it, because so far, I've only posted about it to this group. Maybe if I ignore it, it will fix itself and not cost me any money!
--Jodi

Your house has cancer.

I have a similar bulge in my siding. It's under an area where I have some water leakage damage visible on the inside wall near the bulge.
Jodi wrote:

Now I have a much better idea of what is going on.
You photo did answer one of my questions about the brazier, you have one there. I bet you thought I was kidding about that.
You did not answer the question about the type of siding. Is it vinyl?
I may have the answer, but I need to know what kind of material the siding is made of first.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
On 1/25/2005 4:18 PM US(ET), Joseph Meehan took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

No, it is T1-11 plywood that was mentioned in another thread.

--
Bill

Actually, I never answered the question, because I didn't know. But it is wood, I can't get more specific than that because I just don't know.
--Jodi

Actually, I never answered the question, because I didn't know. But it is wood, I can't get more specific than that because I just don't know.
--Jodi
On 1/25/2005 5:02 PM US(ET), Jodi took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

It's called "Texture one-eleven" (T1-11) siding. It is a plywood made to be used as a siding material. I can't help with the bulge, but looking at the landscape in your pics, I don't see any ice or snow, so I am ruling out a leak behind the siding that has frozen and expanded to form the bulge. Is this something you may have just noticed, or are you sure that it wasn't there before?
--
Bill

OK, now you ruined my planned answer. I will have to fall back to answer #2, a guess.
I looks like it may have been put up without any spacing with the next piece of siding. Since then something got wet and expanded, with no place to go it bowed. If I am correct, it may be interesting trying to get it back in now that it has an new shape. It may need to be completely removed to get things back straight. As I recall that stuff calls for a given gap between panels. Before you start tearing anything apart, check this out. Remember I said it was a guess.
I am also a little curious about the location, right at the top corner of that window. Is anything interesting happening with that window?
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

There is one small crack that is at the bottom of the window inside the house (on the same side as the bulge). But there is not apparent water damage that can be seen from the inside of the house.
What kind of service person/company should I call? Any siding company in the phone book?
Thanks, Jodi
Jodi wrote:

I wish I could say I thought it was safe to call it a siding issue, but especially with the crack you have in the window, I fear you may have a structural problem. I hope I am wrong.
Who to contact is a very good question. You don't know yet what it is. It may well be more than siding. A general contractor may be good, but I might suggest a certified home inspector. They will not fix the work, but they are trained to identify the problems. They can then make an informed suggestion about who should be contacted to do the work. At least that way you will have two opinions, one independent.
Another approach may be to call your insurance company. That might be the best idea at this time. They are likely to send someone out at their expense to evaluate the situation.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math