Bulge in the side of the house?

Yesterday, my husband and I were sitting out on our back patio and we noticed that the siding was bulging out. The bulge is about the size of a basketball, and when I pushed on it, there was no give...the whole area around it was solid too. It's located just under where the ceiling is, but looking inside, there's no cracking or water stains anywhere (upstairs or down).

It's pretty cold here, but not below freezing, and I can't even begin to think of what this might be. I want to get it checked out, but I don't know who/what service would be the best to call in this instance.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks, Jodi

Reply to
Jodi

what material is the siding made of?

Reply to
effi

your house was sleeping with the neighbor house, now its pregnant. the bad news is the energy bill will go up for a while. the up side is you'll have a storage shed next to the house soon.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

And she's not even 10 years old...such a sad society we live in these days.

Reply to
Jodi

I know. I don't know if it's legal or not, but we would like very much to see a picture of the swelling bulge.

PJ

Reply to
PJX

perv.

Reply to
Avery

Anyplace nearby where someone would have used spray in expanding foam?

Could it be a bee's nest that was built up over time?

Depends on what the siding is made of.

I'd have a sider come and pull off some siding to see what's underneath...

Reply to
Noozer

It is very difficult to tell from the description. Any chance someone had a brazier close it plastic siding?

What kind of siding? Is the siding a round shape? Can you see under it?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Pre-Teen Zit......

Reply to
Rick Shaw

Okay, I finally got some pictures up of The Bulge.

I just realized that I must not be too concerned about it, because so far, I've only posted about it to this group. Maybe if I ignore it, it will fix itself and not cost me any money!

--Jodi

Reply to
Jodi

Your house has cancer.

Reply to
Matt

I have a similar bulge in my siding. It's under an area where I have some water leakage damage visible on the inside wall near the bulge.

Reply to
planstan

Now I have a much better idea of what is going on.

You photo did answer one of my questions about the brazier, you have one there. I bet you thought I was kidding about that.

You did not answer the question about the type of siding. Is it vinyl?

I may have the answer, but I need to know what kind of material the siding is made of first.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Looks like a bowed wall stud. Is there a seam in the siding over or above the center of the bulge? Doesn't take much water ingress to bow a stud. You'll have to pop off that piece of siding, slice out the stud, and toenail in a new one. Oh, yeah...first find the source of the water ingress :-)

Reply to
Andy Hill

On 1/25/2005 4:18 PM US(ET), Joseph Meehan took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

No, it is T1-11 plywood that was mentioned in another thread.

Reply to
willshak

Actually, I never answered the question, because I didn't know. But it is wood, I can't get more specific than that because I just don't know.

--Jodi

Reply to
Jodi

Actually, I never answered the question, because I didn't know. But it is wood, I can't get more specific than that because I just don't know.

--Jodi

Reply to
Jodi

On 1/25/2005 5:02 PM US(ET), Jodi took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

It's called "Texture one-eleven" (T1-11) siding. It is a plywood made to be used as a siding material. I can't help with the bulge, but looking at the landscape in your pics, I don't see any ice or snow, so I am ruling out a leak behind the siding that has frozen and expanded to form the bulge. Is this something you may have just noticed, or are you sure that it wasn't there before?

Reply to
willshak

... unless both houses are male - in which case it appears her house is gay.

Reply to
Matt

OK, now you ruined my planned answer. I will have to fall back to answer #2, a guess.

I looks like it may have been put up without any spacing with the next piece of siding. Since then something got wet and expanded, with no place to go it bowed. If I am correct, it may be interesting trying to get it back in now that it has an new shape. It may need to be completely removed to get things back straight. As I recall that stuff calls for a given gap between panels. Before you start tearing anything apart, check this out. Remember I said it was a guess.

I am also a little curious about the location, right at the top corner of that window. Is anything interesting happening with that window?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan