Bulbs blow immediately on outdoor security light fixture - help!

I haven't replaced the bulbs in my home's outdoor floodlight in over a year. When I finally did this week, one blew the moment I screwed it in, and the other blew about two minutes later. The fixture is at the corner of the roof, and super high off the ground, (not a height at which I'm comfortable checking wires with both hands). The old bulbs were 145w, the new are 100w (couldn't find 145w). I know nothing about wattage/voltage, etc. I checked the fuses; nothing tripped. Do I just have the wrong bulbs, or do I need to replace the fixture?

Thanks for any help!

Reply to
Christy

probably just bad bulbs take them back, someone probably dropped a case of them, you can find brighter ones

Reply to
m Ransley

dropped a case

What kind of lights? It might matter. It is possible, if wiring is upset by time & nature for a line to go hgh in voltage, but it's unusual.

Can you check the voltage going to the lights? Or is there a transormer or other component that feeds the lights?

Do the fixtures require specially made bulbs made for specific orientation?

Are the 100W the same type/brand as were the 145?

In my experience at least, 145W bulbs are not standard wattage. So, that makes me wonder if they might not be something "special".

Pop

Reply to
Pop Rivet