Bulbs blow immediately on outdoor security light fixture - help!

I haven't replaced the bulbs in my home's outdoor floodlight in over a year. When I finally did this week, one blew the moment I screwed it in, and the other blew about two minutes later. The fixture is at the corner of the roof, and super high off the ground, (not a height at which I'm comfortable checking wires with both hands). The old bulbs were 145w, the new are 100w (couldn't find 145w). I know nothing about wattage/voltage, etc. I checked the fuses; nothing tripped. Do I just have the wrong bulbs, or do I need to replace the fixture?
Thanks for any help!
probably just bad bulbs take them back, someone probably dropped a case of them, you can find brighter ones

dropped a case

What kind of lights? It might matter. It is possible, if wiring is upset by time & nature for a line to go hgh in voltage, but it's unusual.
Can you check the voltage going to the lights? Or is there a transormer or other component that feeds the lights?
Do the fixtures require specially made bulbs made for specific orientation?
Are the 100W the same type/brand as were the 145?
In my experience at least, 145W bulbs are not standard wattage. So, that makes me wonder if they might not be something "special".
Pop