Bulb coloring

for at least 15 to 20 years, or so, I have been buying R30 75 watt reflector floods at the electrical supply house that had "painted" ones. they are painted a pink color that looks great in the den, which has used brick walls and other items that look nicer with colored lighting. I want to replace these with compact fluorescent reflector floods that are colored the same. I have been unable to find them so far using Google, nor finding a paint or lacquer to color plain bulbs.
The incandescent 75 watt bulbs I have been buying appear to have been painted after the manufacture of them, and with a paint that peels from the heat somewhat after a while.
The compact fluorescent bulbs only get warm, so whatever I paint them with does not have to be very heat resistant.
Anybody know what kind of paint or lacquer I can use that will allow enough light through it to be practical in coloring these bulbs?
Thanks,
Bob

Contact the painter of the originals?
Or try a gel (colored plastic film) to cover the fixture?
HeyBub wrote:

The gel (theatrical color filters) is the best way to do it and will give you the most color options to find the correct one. Try http://www.rosco.com/us/promotions/roscolux.asp and find a dealer in your area. Get the big sample booklet and use to test with the actual lamps you intend to use to find the correct color and then buy a sheet or two.
Pete C.
DIMwit wrote:

The problem is is that most paint is opaque so it doesn't matter what color you paint them.
Go to a craft store and find the "paint" they use for making "stained glass". I think they also make a film that goes on the glass.
Pat wrote:

Or use a "candy apple" paint (maybe the same stuff) or just put a lighting gel (from a theater supply house) in between the bulb and the diffuser.
nate
DIMwit wrote:

As noted the stain glass stuff may work. I don't know how well it will handle heat.
If you try to filter a compact florescent or any florescent, you may find that you are filtering out a lot more light than expected since they tend to be short on the red end of the spectrum anyway.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

I've used the stained glass paint on the bulbs in my pinball machines. That works OK.
What works best though is a Sharpie. Just use the pen to color the glass of the bulb. You can even use more than one color.
Dan Espen wrote:

Cool idea.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

Those Sharpies are pretty cool. They do a great job writing on CDs too. Lots of other inks just form drops, The Sharpie ink dries smoothly and quickly even on glass.

There is a concern that the solvent in Sharpie ink will penetrate to and ruin the data in a recordable CD because the data layer is so close to that surface.
However, I have goten away with that so far, even with one recordable CD where I saw from the data-read side the effect of the ink solvent actually penetrating into the data layer and visible altering its reflection characteristics.
snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) writes:

Thanks.
I did some Googling and there doesn't seem to be any solid evidence of Sharpie caused CD failure, but I guess anything is a concern.
I'm close to finishing ripping our entire vinyl collection of about 400 LPs. I haven't gotten to the 45s yet. If Sharpies cause problems, I guess I'm going to know about it sooner or later.
DIMwit wrote:

Fingernail polish and model paint are both acrylic lacquer. Thin with clear acrylic lacquer to produce a transparent glaze.
Thanks to all; some very good info was given to me. I will try the craft store to see what they have, and will see if the light from the fluorescent bulb is any good after passing through the "filter"
Bob

try
http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/bulandtailli.html
DIMwit wrote:

Use the colored gel-filters, like theaters use:
http://www.theatrefx.com/store/commerce.cgi?product=color_filters
Make sure you leave air gaps, or even the florescents will cook your fixture.
DIMwit wrote:

I just read your post. Interestingly, I was just at Menard's today and saw tinted compact flourescent bulbs. They were the 13 watt (60 watt incandescent equivalent). They had red, blue, orange, green and yellow, if I recall correctly. I imagine the red, maybe with a few untinted, might give a similar effect to what you seek.
I'm not sure where you are, so you may not have a Menard's nearby. If you don't, I imagine you could contact them via their website. I think the tinted bulbs were manufactured by Feit.
I found the page on Feit's site where they have tinted flourescent: Compact Fluorescent Hope that helps! Ed