Bulb changer on a pole

Page 1 of 2

I've done some internet research. Looks like there are small bulb changers (with what looks like spider legs, and a spring for purse string). Then, there are large bulb changers, and maybe bigger yet are the reflector bulb changers.
Naturally, as I'm asking, you might guess that I've got a couple of high bulbs to change. Yes, that is the case.
https://www.hardwareworld.com/Standard-Light-Bulb-Changer-p9W7ALI.aspx
Three bucks looks good. The one they have at the church looks like it's designed for the big flood lights. Too big for the huge 100 plus watt bulb, and far too big for an ordinary 100 watt bulb.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote the following:

What was your question?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Didn't look at your link, but the long-distance bulb-changers I've seen usually come with a couple different ends to work both w/standard bulbs and floodlamps. And yes, they do work.
What was your question again?

- a Usenet "apology"
It's been a long, brain damaged day for me. As you noticed. Anyhow, the questions I was thinking, you already answered.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Has anyone seen these things made for the large mercury vapor or sodium bulbs used on farm type yard lights (pole lights)? Seems that every year I need to replace the bulb and everytime I do it I get all freaked out going up that ladder which rocks as I climb becuse it's laid against a round pole and never sits solid. I'm not good with heights anyhow. Worse yet, the light is about 25 feet off the ground and my ladder only extends to about 20 ft. So I have to put the ladder in the bed of my pickup truck.
I'd need a long extension pole, but it would be worth not having to climb that ladder. I actually have a tree trimmer on a pole that would likely work for the pole. But where does one buy a bulb changer for these large bulbs? (mine is a 170W Mercury Vapor). To complicate matters, it appears they have stopped or will soon stop selling these bulbs because of the mercury content. They already sell compact florescent replacements, but they are very costly and from what I understand, they require a new fixture (or at least a differrent ballast).
I am not real sure about this fixture / ballast issue, to be honest. I have inquired at several stores and one guy says I need a different fixture while another says no. Seems no one really knows. But at 3 times the price of a mercury vapor bulb, I will stick with the mercury ones for now, and I bought several of them when I heard about this new ban on them.
Of course a CFL bulb will likely need a different style head on a changer too, so who knows what that would be....
I also don't much like ladders. Sounds like you'd want to purchase all of those bulbs you could find, so as not to have to change the socket.
I know of no changer poles. Perhaps the one made for flood lights might work. I know the outdoor mercury bulbs are larger than ordinary bulbs.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

A LED bulb might be a better choice, very long life and big energy savings.
A friend suggested compact fluorescent. Typically, being a mechanical room, these bulbs get near to zero use. I'm not paying the bill, and I'm donating the labor and bulbs. So, cheap and simple is the method of solving the problem.
Of course, LED or CF would last a lot longer. I do use a lot of CF bulbs at home, and a couple long fluorescent bulbs.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
I've done some internet research. Looks like there are small bulb changers (with what looks like spider legs, and a spring for purse string). Then, there are large bulb changers, and maybe bigger yet are the reflector bulb changers.
Naturally, as I'm asking, you might guess that I've got a couple of high bulbs to change. Yes, that is the case.
https://www.hardwareworld.com/Standard-Light-Bulb-Changer-p9W7ALI.aspx
Three bucks looks good. The one they have at the church looks like it's designed for the big flood lights. Too big for the huge 100 plus watt bulb, and far too big for an ordinary 100 watt bulb.
So, anyway. It gets me to wondering.
1) Are the different sizes of spring loaded ends necessary? Or will the big one do em all? 2) Who has practical experience with these, and what advice can you give me? 3) Is it a good idea to grease thread of the new bulb, to make the next guy's life easier? Using what kind of grease?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Is there a Mormon electrician in your congregation?
A Baptist at a local electrical supply can answer your questions ;)
That's a good thought. When it comes to secular matters, sometimes other church people have the answer. Is it safe to be a Baptist electrician? I've heard it's not good to work on electric while you're around water.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Maybe I can find a Catholic electrical supply counter man. I hear they only sprinkle.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Well, you know it's not safe for a Lutheran Bishop to play golf during a thunder storm. Ask Bill Murray. *snicker*
TDD
Or a Pentacostal with hands in the air?
I should hire a Jewish electrician to help wire my electrical sockets. They just cut a little insulation off the tip. But then, the socket won't work from Friday Sundown, to Saturday sundown. Oy. I think I better think it out again.
Then, there was the Pentacostal guy who used a bunch of perforated irrigation pipe for the assembly line construction. The entire factory was full of holey rollers.
Almost as bad as the Methodist fellow who worked at the glue factory. He was making more united Methodists.
And there was the Jehovas Witness who couldn't get his car properly fixed. It was always knocking.
I need to mention that I just wrote all of these. I didn't copy them off a web site. Though, they will probably be all over the web in a day or two.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

What is good for cleaning saliva off LED screens?
Probably the same stuff that works on coffee screens?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

The joke I tell all my minister friends is:
Three clergymen were good friends. One was a Baptist minister, the other, a Catholic priest and the third a Jewish rabbi.
One day they went for a long nature hike in a beautiful forest when they came across a crystal clear lake. Since they'd been out hiking so long they were hot and sweaty which made them decide to go skinny dipping. Suddenly they hear a group of women who were out bird watching. The startled clergymen came out of the water and while running for their clothing, the minister and the priest covered their nether regions with their hands but the rabbi covered his face. The minister and priest were very puzzled so they asked the rabbi why he covered his face while they covered their lower bodies out of modesty. The rabbi said "In my congregation, it's my face they would recognize." That's why I think rabbis are so cool.
TDD