Bulb changer on a pole

I've done some internet research. Looks like there are small bulb changers (with what looks like spider legs, and a spring for purse string). Then, there are large bulb changers, and maybe bigger yet are the reflector bulb changers.

Naturally, as I'm asking, you might guess that I've got a couple of high bulbs to change. Yes, that is the case.

Three bucks looks good. The one they have at the church looks like it's designed for the big flood lights. Too big for the huge 100 plus watt bulb, and far too big for an ordinary 100 watt bulb.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Stormin Mormon wrote the following:

What was your question?

Reply to
willshak

On 4/5/2010 4:11 PM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

Didn't look at your link, but the long-distance bulb-changers I've seen usually come with a couple different ends to work both w/standard bulbs and floodlamps. And yes, they do work.

What was your question again?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Oops!!!!!!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've done some internet research. Looks like there are small bulb changers (with what looks like spider legs, and a spring for purse string). Then, there are large bulb changers, and maybe bigger yet are the reflector bulb changers.

Naturally, as I'm asking, you might guess that I've got a couple of high bulbs to change. Yes, that is the case.

Three bucks looks good. The one they have at the church looks like it's designed for the big flood lights. Too big for the huge 100 plus watt bulb, and far too big for an ordinary 100 watt bulb.

So, anyway. It gets me to wondering.

1) Are the different sizes of spring loaded ends necessary? Or will the big one do em all? 2) Who has practical experience with these, and what advice can you give me? 3) Is it a good idea to grease thread of the new bulb, to make the next guy's life easier? Using what kind of grease?
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's been a long, brain damaged day for me. As you noticed. Anyhow, the questions I was thinking, you already answered.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Is there a Mormon electrician in your congregation?

A Baptist at a local electrical supply can answer your questions ;)

Reply to
Oren

I dumpster dove a twist loc telescoping pole with a ~2" suction cup.

Works fine on all sizes of "smooth faced" bulbs. I do canned lights on a 14' ceiling.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

I got mine at Ace Hardware for appx. $4. It is a suction cup as well. It also has a long string attached to it so that once the replaced light bulb is up, you can give a small tug on the string and all is well.

It did not come with a pole, but I just used an extension pole that is used to hang outside Christmas decorations.

I also use mine to replace canned lights on a high ceiling. It works great.

Good luck.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

That's a good thought. When it comes to secular matters, sometimes other church people have the answer. Is it safe to be a Baptist electrician? I've heard it's not good to work on electric while you're around water.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

From what I saw on the net. There are three bulb changer tips, well, maybe more than that. One was a suction cup, and the other two looked like spiders with a big spring, like a purse string or drawstring for a bag.

Do you have to wet the suction cup to get it to stick?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Now, that sounds totally practial. Thanks.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

LOL ;o)

Reply to
norminn

They work very well, although there is a knack. Even when the thingy is a good deal larger than the bulb, you "aim" the bulb at the socket and then push up so the friction on the top of the bulb does the work; i.e., the cup doesn't really grip the bulb closely.

After my hubby ended service as the condo building manager, it again took three condo board members to change a light bulb...one old guy standing on a second floor balcony railing, another holding him while he leaned out over the edge to reach the bulb, and a third doing the brain work. I'm not kidding. Wish I had the video :o)

Reply to
norminn

Well, you know it's not safe for a Lutheran Bishop to play golf during a thunder storm. Ask Bill Murray. *snicker*

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Maybe I can find a Catholic electrical supply counter man. I hear they only sprinkle.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Or a Pentacostal with hands in the air?

I should hire a Jewish electrician to help wire my electrical sockets. They just cut a little insulation off the tip. But then, the socket won't work from Friday Sundown, to Saturday sundown. Oy. I think I better think it out again.

Then, there was the Pentacostal guy who used a bunch of perforated irrigation pipe for the assembly line construction. The entire factory was full of holey rollers.

Almost as bad as the Methodist fellow who worked at the glue factory. He was making more united Methodists.

And there was the Jehovas Witness who couldn't get his car properly fixed. It was always knocking.

I need to mention that I just wrote all of these. I didn't copy them off a web site. Though, they will probably be all over the web in a day or two.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

This is something we have been working on in the past to develop. But it is on the back burner for now. Ours uses vacuum to attach to the bulb.

Reply to
Dymphna

What is good for cleaning saliva off LED screens?

Reply to
norminn

So here is a question for you on the light bulb issue...

How many of these light fixtures that are up really high do you have ???

I am assuming that they are in the main assembly/ worship space... Is the seating/pews/benches in that area movable or fixed in place ???

Spot re-lamping is going to drive you crazy, you may as well just figure on once a year changing all the lamps in that space (or waiting until several lamps are out) and renting a portable scaffold/staging with enough pieces to come within arms reach of the lights when you assemble it and change out all of the lamps at that time...

Doing this will allow you to get up close and personal with the ceiling and clean cobwebs out of the light fixture and any HVAC vents on the ceiling... Every few years you do this you could repaint the ceiling if it is sheetrock/plaster/painted wood OR refresh the suspended ceiling tiles if this is a drop ceiling...

You will find that if you plan and coordinate annual or multi-annual maintenance tasks you will see that if you rented a scaffolding/staging setup for a week or two once a year you will have more "little projects" that you could do with it that would have been so much more difficult and less safe to complete without it...

Every place I have ever worked maintenance at has always had a scissor platform lift which could get us to within arms reach of 90% of the ceilings inside the building... Such lifts are worth their weight in gold inside and outside on flat level paved areas where you need to reach up to do work within the limits of the lift...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan