Building up a concrete step

The bottom concrete step at the front of my house is of a different size (cadence?) from the others. It drops about 2 inches more.

Old people, in particular, find this a bit awkward and surprising, so I'd like to even it out. Presumably I need to build up the bottom step with concrete. Can anyone suggest the best way to do this?

Yes, this leaves me with a smaller step at the bottom, but that's still better than a steep drop, which could really cause an accident.

Thanks.

o-------= Charles Martin =--o

Reply to
cpmUnwantedhair

If possible, jack up the concrete at teh bottom, either with mudjacking or by levering it up and packing sand under it. If you do this over a 3' length, the 2" drop will not be too significant.

Failing that, smash out the section and re do it. Again, a modest slope will work wonders.

Otherwise, get a topping mix and add to the concrete in front of the step and feather it down. Clean the existing base thoruoghly and use a bonding agent. It will look like hell, but it'll get the job done.

John

Reply to
raven

It seems the sidewalk has dropped. (Is there a mark or change in textue on the riser next to the walk?) What might have caused the drop? TB

Reply to
tbasc

if anyone trips and falls on uneven or poor condition steps you or your insurance are liable

Reply to
hallerb

I doubt the sidewalk has dropped.

I think it more likely that the Earth has risen.

Reply to
mm