Building steps

Page 3 of 3

I have seen fiberglass rebar mentioned. Does it have any disadvantages over steel rebar?
-- Ron
On Sun, 24 May 2009 21:35:45 -0700 (PDT), Ron Peterson

Fiberglass re-bar? Or Fiberglass mesh/screen?
Ron Peterson wrote:

not actual rebar made of fiberglass. Used mainly in light slabs like patios, garages, and warm-climate driveways. I suppose it reduces prep labor, but I'm old fashioned and not sure I'd trust it as a replacement for 4" fabric.
-- aem sends...

The Stone Slab Floor Setters union thought the same thing when that new-fangled fake stone - concrete - was introduced. ;)
http://www.fiberglassrebar.com
RicodJour wrote:

that now. (I may have grown up in the business, but I haven't actually been in it for several years.) Thanks for the link.
-- aem sends...
On Mon, 18 May 2009 19:26:12 -0700 (PDT), Pat

No friggin' way. That simply means that virtually any cement highway in NY, NJ, or MI is suspect! They are all full of holes!
(I remember reading a few months ago about the city of NY digging up a location and finding a bunch of bodies: a mafia graveyard, apparently, with little hope of ever identifying those burried in the hole!)
Regardless we all know Jimmy Hoffa is alive and well, living with Elvis in North Dakota.

Well, the problem is so old that the verdict always goes the unions way, anyway, regardless of what anybody else votes. So, that's also why the reason the people with post-pyramid engineering talent, also decided to work on self-assembling robots, self-replicating machines, autonomous vehicles, fiber optics, optical computers. gps, laserdisks, on-line publishing, and compact flourescent lighting instead of either the concrete or steel problem.

Doug Miller wrote:

I think it is a matter of construction and maintenance, not engineering. On our condo, there have been several areas where rust caused bursting of the concrete. Perhaps rebar was too close to the surface, or cracks in stucco not patched and painted, allowing moisture and salt intrusion. Another place was a concrete sill by a patio slider. We also have iron railings on our balconies and atrium deck which are embedded in structural concrete. They are the same railings used inside condo units - the anchor is embedded and then the railings bolt onto the achors. The exterior ones rusted badly years ago, to the extent that some rusted through and the attachment was no longer identifiable. Along the atrium deck (second story), several places where the anchors protrude busted out the concrete. After grinding out the rust and patching and painting, they hold for several years without further bursting of the concrete. Enough anchors intact that nothing is loose. Several years ago, it was a pretty big issue for condominium management companies - can probably google up more info if you are interested. Perhaps it isn't an issue at all if not near salt water.
On Sun, 17 May 2009 15:53:11 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE

    I don't think I would use what you have, someone would likely be happy to take them off your hands for the scrap value.
    On the other hand, I can remember my father using some old bed springs to re-enforce the front porch of our home about 60 years ago. It looks like that slab is still there in one piece.
On Sun, 17 May 2009 16:26:08 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

Who likes tension? I don't like tension! For gosh sakes shut up about the tension or I'll....

This is MM's sister. MM has been taken to the hospital and won't be available for posting until the court-ordered psychiatrist has examined him and filed his report.
If he wants to get rid of the metal, just put it out by the curb on a non-trash-pickup day and people driving by will pick it up as scrap metal to sell to a recycle yard.

Tell him not to throw parts under the trailer to begin with. Scrap metal is worth at least a 12 pack, that should get him moving.

There are worth a lot more at the recycle center.

That's why I cross posted. I figured Doug might not appreciate the messenger. ;)

What on earth is *that* supposed to mean? You think I have something against you personally?
On May 18, 3:02pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

No, and it probably wouldn't matter a whole hell of a lot to either of us if you did, right? It seems we're both pretty frank about things.