Building steps

Page 2 of 3

You can use stainless bolts and nuts, but there are good practices when doing so, just as everything else in life. http://www.estainlesssteel.com/gallingofstainless.html
PeterD was saying the stainless rusts when there's no oxygen, and that's what I was addressing, that you addressed, that I just addressed. Okay, I'm going to go up on a ladder now, I'm getting dizzy down here. ;)

Anti sieze compund
On Tue, 19 May 2009 11:06:59 -0700 (PDT), Pat

Stainless tends to 'gall' and freeze up. I've had stainless to stainless fastners freeze when tightening, friction welded into one piece so strong that the bolt sheared off but the nut never moved!

SS has a huge tendency to gall......I once screwed together, by hand, a dry SS short nipple (2" pipe) into a fitting. Only a couple turns and the assembly almost seized up on me!
The pipe thread was a pipe rough, I didn't us any tape, lube or dope.....I was just doing a dry fit up.
cheers Bob

Stainless on stainless is used VERY frequently........why else would there be a vast selection of SS bolts & nuts?
galling is a potential problem with SS on SS but the use of proper plating or lubes will help a lot
cheers Bob
PS stop using TV as an uncorroborated source of technical information

........ Oxygen is inseparable from oxidation (rusting).
yup
..... I think it's more likely that moisture was getting into those hidden areas and staying there longer.
yup, again
first of all the term "stainless steel" though popular & widely used is not the "correct" term for the material under discussion
the more correct terminology is "corrosion resistant"
btw all "stainless steels" will rust / corrode under the "right" conditions
another little know fact, so called "non-magnetic", 18-8 stainless steels (typically 300 series) can, when "worked" by certain processes, in fact, exhibit magnetic properties
cheers Bob

rusts...........
I'm late to the party but if they are really concerned about corrosion in the rebar maybe they should look into getting some of the (fairly) new stuff called MMFX rebar. It is five times as corrosion-resistant and up to three times as strong as conventional steel. He could use less steel and it would last longer than just about any other comparable product. Ameristeel is advertising a product called "Z-Bar" that is better (per their claim, not mine) than just plain epoxy coated bars, but I have not been involved with any project that used this material, so I can't say anything one way or the other about it.

Whats the green rebar I saw a while back, was it a coating?

Yep. It's an epoxy coating. It's used in construction where the rebar will be subjected to harsh conditions and rusting is an issue.

The main culprits in attacking the rebar, salt and water, don't have nearly as much effect on concrete. Protecting the concrete would require protecting large areas, and periodic reapplication of whatever it was you were using to protect it. The epoxy coated rebar has a much smaller area (in general) and it's a one shot deal.
Your bones are encased in meat, but you can still break your bones even through the meat. That's why Wolverine has an admantium skeleton - I'm amazed I have to tell you this!!!! ;)

My son has been a Logan fan since day 1 and has 100 copies of Wolverine#1 in Wizard archival bags with boards. (I only have 1 copy) Just yesterday he emailed me a picture of a razor he purchased - Wolverine version, Gillette brand, for keeping nice crisp corners on those 50's style sideburns Logan sports that the ladies find so appealing.

I have a comic collection from my ute. It was interesting to see the spike in the value of X-Men comics about 12 years ago. It was less interesting to discover that somewhere along the line a few hundred comics of mine went missing.
RicodJour wrote:

I know guys who's mother/sister/wife/insane female human threw away the guy's comic book collection when he was away at work/war/contract job overseas. The guy comes home and finds his stuff gone and the insane female human is so puzzled by the often violent reaction. Guys have to hide their stuff in a locked warehouse or safety deposit box.
TDD

I've have (6) 1/2 boxes of bagged and boarded comics, mainly #1 issues, sitting out in the garage I'd like to get rid of but a cursory review of the market shows they are worth next to nothing. Maybe they'll burn well. And I have thousands of comic cards, complete sets with chase cards, in archival sheets and binders too. I sure wasted alot of $$$ in my later ute.

What were you reading/collecting that #1 issues are almost worthless? I just read what I liked. I actually had a non-lending comic book library in college to help support my habit. Collected dues and a had a punch card catalog system and everything. Some of them are worth a fair amount. I was a little brought down when I started looking into the values that the ones that disappeared had most of the value. And also disappointed to see that what should be the most valuable comic I have in the collection is missing it's cover and worth a tiny fraction of an intact comic. No surprise there, still disappointing.

BRB, I gotta go shred some foil......
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I think that is the epoxy (or some sort of plastic) coated stuff. As they lay it out, somebody has to go spot-treat all the spots where they weld it or cut it, lest that provide an entry point for water to get under the protective layer. The spot repairs I see are red, probably to make it quick to check and see that none got missed. A color like green would also make any damaged rusty spots jump out at you.
The green stuff is all I ever see anymore used on bridge or parking garage work around here in salt country. Even see it used on vertical work, like for exposed concrete on buildings.
-- aem sends...

Yes, it is epoxy coated rebar, Out in the west they also have an epoxy coating that is purple. They have different properties in the coating and are used in different applications.
The "Z" bar I mentioned above is in a Yellow coating.
I "heard" (so it may/may not be true) that a job one time was supposed to use epoxy coated rebar, but the shop sent black (that is the term we use for uncoated plain old rebar)) bar instead. The contractor didn't want to wait for it to be refabbed, so he told the guys to go to paint store, get a can of green paint, bring it back and coat the bars with that instead...

A contractor cutting corners to save time? No way! That's prepostorous!

I'd like to see that, as I've never seen one bent-and then break because of it. It would have had to have been bent back and forth quite a bit to have stressed to the breaking point.
I installed 64 HU28's and 8 HU28-2's yesterday and the only thing that broke was the skin on the middle finger of my left hand as it crushed between the edge of an HU28 and a 28oz Estwing waffle face. It made for a really nifty red splash pattern on the ledger board.
(6) 16d's per hanger - do the math x 28oz.....yes my arm is warped this morning........