Building Stares...

Ok my building isn't staring at me. But I bet more people will click on this with my misspelled title than if I said 'building stairs'..??
Anyway. I have a drop off in the rear of my property that I'd like to build steps down to. I'd like to build a small stairway to it. But I have no idea how to build a stringer (?) to attach stairs to. I could figure out how to anchor them and attache the steps but the whole right angle thing with the square thing..?? I'm lost...
I have to some how lay the stringers against the slope and cut in right angles ??? That's a guess from observing over the years. And how far aparts should the steps be and what is the rise and run formula if any (or is that reserved for roofs?)...
I guess I could cut 2 4x4 x 8's in half and sink them for every step and tie it all together with a common railing of some sort. That just seems more expensive.
TIA Charles
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

http://www.blocklayer.com/Stairs/StairsEng.aspx
--
Grandpa

Thanks. I saved that. That's about as good as it gets...'>) CP
Is there a hands on way. That doesn't want to work with my webtv. And my computer has been messin' up my eyes really bad lately..Thanks
On Jun 17, 6:16?pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

buy pre cut stringers at a building center.
you will have to accept the slope they carry but it might be right for you
Re: Building Stares... Group: alt.home.repair Date: Sun, Jun 17, 2007, 11:20pm (EDT+4) From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com On Jun 17, 6:16?pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote: Is there a hands on way. That doesn't want to work with my webtv. And my computer has been messin' up my eyes really bad lately..Thanks buy pre cut stringers at a building center. you will have to accept the slope they carry but it might be right for you
Thanks ..I'll look for it. May be I can make it work..
On Jun 17, 4:53 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Go to your local library and check out a 'how to' book on basic house framing. Most of them will give very detailed instructions on the procedure.
Harry K

concrete steps for an application like that. If you have heart set on wood, it should be atop concrete piers. Find a DIY book on 'porches and decks'- it will tell all you need to know. This is basically a deck or patio, just not attached to the house.
aem sends....