Building shade structure for home ac condenser?

Page 2 of 2
Mine's in the walk in freezer.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Matt wrote in message
I moved mine inside a long time ago, where the air conditioning keeps it cool.
Add pictures here
βœ–
dont think it would help much , your still pullin in the same temp air and if a shedcut down on airflow it would defeat the purpose.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Did you read the article on the web site (Link posted a couple days ago)?
It did mention hot air recirc.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
βœ–
Al,
There is considerable debate about the benefits of shading, although I feel that it is helpful for a few reasons:
1) Modest energy savings which could add up considerably over years. 2) Apperance. A nice screen or planting looks better than than the AC unit.
Keep in mind that factories can often build something better and less expensively than you and I can do on our own. If you decide to add a screen, then consider doing a Google search. I found this quickly, which shows an $80 reasonably attractive unit from Target, on sale now for $40:
www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601-5549029-3139366?_encoding=UTF8&asin°00083JS Y
It has redwood coloring and a lattice design. The posts have pointed ends which can be driven into the ground. The item description is "Air Conditioner Screen - Natural", which will help you if you have trouble with the link I provided above.
Forty dollars plus shipping. Even if you just get 1% energy savings, you have to come out ahead on the purchase.
Good luck, Gideon
I live in the Houston Texas area and my house is cooled by a whole house ac. I have an efficient unit but I think that it would run even better if the condensor didn't sit directly under the hot sun in the middle of the day. My thought is that I would build a structure to give it shade. I would be interested in hearing from people who have done this and suggestions of websites for possible designs.
Thanks, Al Kondo
Add pictures here
βœ–

I'd also add in lifespan. In some cases, ie: bright hot sun on plastic parts, shading it may give it a bit longer life.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
βœ–