Building own home wish list--

Page 2 of 2
Insulating the hot water pipes is a must, but I really like our hot water circulation pump. I would add one line from the farthest hot water faucet back to the water heater so that the circulator pump could be mounted at the water heater. Hot water at every faucet, right now!
If any excavation is going on for the construction a ground loop for a ground source heat pump might become economical. Really cheap heat and cooling.
The kitchen would have to be near the garage. Our garage is on the opposite end from the kitchen - grrrrrr.
Rake, comb, sweep, anything - just clean up the crawl space before the sub floor goes down. Crawling on rocks and concrete slag is a pain in the A$$! Oh, yah, the crawl space access should be in the center of the house, not in the master bedroom closet on the far end of the house!!! And the access to the attic should not be from an outside vent on hinges that is higher than the rafters than the length of my leg - OUCH! Can you say pull down ladder, please?
Our floor is kind of springy. I guess this is a function of the floor joist spacing and the dimension of the plywood subfloor. Make it sturdy enough to place a grandfather clock on without clanging the weights and chimes when a fat man walks by.
Or place it in a neighborhood filled with caring, wonderful, kooky, fun, and friendly neighbors, and the rest of the house doesn't matter so much.

I've added these, and would definitely add numerous outdoor outlets. My house came with none when I bought it, many have one, or maybe two.
I'd also add water spigots. I'm in a non-freeze area so it's easier to deal with, but not having to drag 150' of hose around to wash the car is a luxury that's cheap at build time.
Jeff
YES! We did this in our house. And have the eave outlet switched from inside so that you can turn on the Christmas lights from inside the house. Way cool and the ultimate in luxury.
You can never have too many outdoor outlets, electrical and hose. We have four hose bibbs and six electical outlets and every one gets used.
Jim

My Dad used to talk about kitchen cabinets that go through the wall into the garage. You'd come home from the store, open the trunk of the car, and shove the groceries into the BACK of the kitchen cabinet. The groceries would slide forward, and you'd never have that 15 year old can of stuff in the back of the shelves that you can't quite reach.
(I know, fire code, solid cement wall between garage, but that's another subject).
--

Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season

I had to reply to this one, since I am building a home in Northern Wisconsin now, and most likely will be for some time... It is a chalet style with loft, window wall, etc. Some of the things I have decided to do are: a foam block poured foundation, it has a R24 ra

I think this is a near-impossible task. If there were perfectly-designed houses (or houses by committee) all new construction would be the same. I can only think of things I'd change/improve/eliminate in my present home. I'm fairly sure if I 'fixed' all these problems, I'd soon come up with a new set.
The "functionality" of a home with toddlers might be quite different than that of elderly people. Maybe a new universe of modular features is called for. An extremely efficient engineer friend built his kitchen (in a mild climate) with a central floor drain for easy cleaning! I don't do roof Christmas lighting, but would like to have an outlet under every window for electric candles (a local fashion). More closet space may mean more junk collected/stored.
The only thing I can come up with is *accessible* features. That is, whatever the feature, it ought to be easy to get to and repair/replace/resupply.

I had to reply to this one, since I am building a home in Northern Wisconsin now, and most likely will be for some time... It is a chalet style with loft, window wall, etc. Some of the things I have decided to do are: a foam block poured foundation, it has a R24 ra

I had to reply since I am buiding a chalet style home in Wi. now and will be doing so for some time, I'm sure. Here are some things I've added: A styrofoam insulated poured foundation,it's rated R24 and not much more expensive than block. Floor joists on the main floor so everything is tucked inside, ie. ducting and plumbing. It makes it nice to have a flat basement ceiling all the way through. A.Walkout basement. (nothing spectacular there) A 90+ furnace, pre-wired w/cat6, RG6 coax. And extra, but not overboard electric service. No fiber optic, too far in the country. A ground source heat pump would be nice, but I'm spending as much on sq. feet now, while it is easy to. Some like a central vac system installed also. Plan the electrical carefully, now is the time to make it right...
Very interesting.....I would like to view that list as well. Maybe even find a copy and super glue a copy to my ex wife's windshield as an "I Told You So". In the 13 years I have been in my home here in New York I had fought with her on so much of what makes sense. For example I have a shed that is half wired for electric to get the battery powered weed eater out of my kitchen that she bought five years ago. She was very impulsive as a consumer buying things without the fore thought of how to make it work, then complain about it for the next five years (Really kind of glad she left me <big smile on my face>). The idea of the outlets on the eves is great idea, but to go a step further....I own a mobile home and I found that the pitch of the roof is so slight that I have huge problems with ice damming. Two 30 amp outlets for the roof heat tape on the eves would have been the ticket if they were installed at the factory. Of course this brings back fond memories of spending six months arguing with the ex to buy the electrical stuff needed to install the heat tape! Boy I miss those days---NOT! LOL
In all I would like to see in a house if I were to build, LAN network outlets in walls, running both the cable and LAN outlets in the same panel in all the rooms. This would make multi- computer home users very happy and allow flexibility in where the computer could be moved around the home. I would also run common speaker outlets in all the rooms and a dedicated home theater system in one room.
Further I would build the kitchen walls with outlets just below the cabinets for "space saver" appliances so as not to have unsightly wires running down the walls. Of course too the outlets would be better built into the bottom of the cabinets themselves.
Other thoughts I have had include the use of a boiler system in a garage I have yet to build (now without the wife to slow me down thank God), which during designing the garage I thought a heated floor would be the ticket there and then logic happened to strike, and I thought "if I included a cement driveway I could heat that as well", putting a huge cap on having to hand shovel all 110 feet of it! I would set the system up like those in homes allowing the driveway to by heated on demand by turning the section on and off as I needed. I know from experience with former companies some company buildings have this very same design in their walkways into the buildings. Also in the area of garages I would install windows and perhaps skylights, as electric here in New York is so flippin' high natural light would be a great thing over electric costs. Also being am into cars myself I would have to include a lift in my garage if money wasn't an issue, though I have found some lifts in Hemmings that were a mere $2500 for two post above ground lifts. Another idea would be to use French (double) doors for access to the building allowing large items (such as the family fake Christmas tree) to pass through it without a host of problems due to size.
While my daughter decided to move in with my ex I have opened up another room for my use, turning her room into a den. I became aware of a design idea while drawing plans for my new computer station. The desk with have a shelf unit attached to the wall, then between the bottom of the shelf and the desktop I will place faux columns to hide the wire runs to my printer and other computer hardware on the shelf above. This will allow the wires to pass through in the front in plain view when adding or upgrading hardware and what not. Then hide them away without anybody's knowledge that they are there!

One other thing I would add to my list would be an emergency generator with an auto on circuit. Of course I would have to agree with the yard outlets I could use more power in the yard and with all the electric weed eaters, outdoor lighting and such it really would be nice to have.
Jeigh
All doors 36 in, bathroom,bedroom,utility room,outside doors. Switchable plug for the Xmas Tree. 220 plug for the hot water heater.
Mike K
@aol.comMike said...

Uh, how about gas or oil for the water heater?
And a 220 plug for the Christmas tree too.
Yes, I do.
Mjk9234 wrote:

Hi, No matter how much storage space I create, always not enough. Tony

The solution to that problem is to learn to throw shit away.