building living quarters inside building

SWMBO thinks I am crazy. I own a farm & told her I was going to put up a big metal building. Inside the building I was going to partion off 1/4 of the square footage & build a living quarters with all the amenities. From the outside it would still look like a big metal building. Looks mean nothing to me, I am not a 'keep up with the Jones ' person ( wife likes to put on the dog) I am a white shirt & bib overall person. Has anyone ever done this? I live in Tennessee & would use the rest of building as a garage. My thinking is we will have nice living quarters inside the building + I will have easy access to shop & it would be easy to modify for any future living needs as I was going to use 4 ft wide doors to make wheelchair accessibility down the line.

thanks in advance

Mike Lane

Reply to
Michael Lane

A friend of one of my coworkers did just that.

I guess it worked out fine.

It got me to thinking I'd like to do the same thing.

Good luck with it.

Reply to
greg6755

that's becoming somewhat popular around here in Kansas. I've seen several VERY NICE places inside a basic post frame metal building. Makes your interior wall options unlimited because none of them have to be load bearing.

Reply to
Steve Barker

You need to be concerned about fire safety. The ?garage? floor must be lower than the ?living? floor. Also there must be a fire partition between the two.

That said, I know people who did this. They built and lived in the garage while they built their house.

Regards,

Reply to
GeorgeD

Chuckle- a man who thinks like I do- that has been my plans for retirement housing for several years. Have a commercial pole barn company throw up a steel-frame barn with a good slab and utility stubs, and build a secret hideout apartment in one end of it. Maybe have an extra overhead door I could put a sitting porch and some sliders behind, so it wouldn't be totally dark and dreary. That way I could still lock the place down when traveling, and from the road or the air, it wouldn't look worth robbing or investigating.

aem sends......

Reply to
aemeijers

Yes, enjoy it. please , consider solar .

Reply to
r truth

Chuckle. Wise man. That wouldn't be a consideration for me, since the days of my having any chance to convince a woman to live with me are long past. Cheap and easy to clean and maintain would be all I worried about. I mean, I wouldn't be a damn fool about it- I'd spot things on the lot, and set up the septic and utilities and such, so a 'real' house could easily be added- the barn apartment could be for guests, boomerang kids, etc. Or just hubby's secret clubhouse. That should cover resale consideration, although that would likely be the problem of my shirt-tail relatives, since if I built a place like that, it would be the Last Home.

aem sends....

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Right after world war two, I'm remembering hearing. A company was selling auto garages, at a rapid rate. Turns out people were living in them. Much cheaper than regular homes.

I think it's a terrific idea.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

double check your building codes, our state has had people doing this without getting the proper permits to get away from paying proper fees is guess.

OTOH, a freind of mine is planning on doing this, sounds good. he currently lives in a run down trailer house.

Reply to
Tater

------------------------------------------- I have a lot of planning to do. Septic, electricty, water other. My biggest obstacle is my uncle, we both own 1/2 of the farm & he + SWMBO are not to happy with my idea. He won't buy me out or sell me his half but I am going to persvere.

thanks for all the replies

Michael Lane

Reply to
Michael Lane