building living quarters inside building

SWMBO thinks I am crazy. I own a farm & told her I was going to put up a big metal building. Inside the building I was going to partion off 1/4 of the square footage & build a living quarters with all the amenities. From the outside it would still look like a big metal building. Looks mean nothing to me, I am not a 'keep up with the Jones ' person ( wife likes to put on the dog) I am a white shirt & bib overall person. Has anyone ever done this? I live in Tennessee & would use the rest of building as a garage. My thinking is we will have nice living quarters inside the building + I will have easy access to shop & it would be easy to modify for any future living needs as I was going to use 4 ft wide doors to make wheelchair accessibility down the line.
thanks in advance
Mike Lane
A friend of one of my coworkers did just that.
I guess it worked out fine.
It got me to thinking I'd like to do the same thing.
Good luck with it.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Yes, enjoy it. please , consider solar .
--
If you believe that the only tool you have is a hammer,
No wonder you look at all your problems as Nails.

Chuckle. Wise man. That wouldn't be a consideration for me, since the days of my having any chance to convince a woman to live with me are long past. Cheap and easy to clean and maintain would be all I worried about. I mean, I wouldn't be a damn fool about it- I'd spot things on the lot, and set up the septic and utilities and such, so a 'real' house could easily be added- the barn apartment could be for guests, boomerang kids, etc. Or just hubby's secret clubhouse. That should cover resale consideration, although that would likely be the problem of my shirt-tail relatives, since if I built a place like that, it would be the Last Home.
aem sends....
aem sends...
that's becoming somewhat popular around here in Kansas. I've seen several VERY NICE places inside a basic post frame metal building. Makes your interior wall options unlimited because none of them have to be load bearing.
--
Steve Barker

"Michael Lane" < snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net> wrote in message
Michael Lane wrote:

You need to be concerned about fire safety. The garage floor must be lower than the living floor. Also there must be a fire partition between the two.
That said, I know people who did this. They built and lived in the garage while they built their house.
Regards,
Right after world war two, I'm remembering hearing. A company was selling auto garages, at a rapid rate. Turns out people were living in them. Much cheaper than regular homes.
I think it's a terrific idea.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Chuckle- a man who thinks like I do- that has been my plans for retirement housing for several years. Have a commercial pole barn company throw up a steel-frame barn with a good slab and utility stubs, and build a secret hideout apartment in one end of it. Maybe have an extra overhead door I could put a sitting porch and some sliders behind, so it wouldn't be totally dark and dreary. That way I could still lock the place down when traveling, and from the road or the air, it wouldn't look worth robbing or investigating.
aem sends......
On Apr 22, 8:17 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Michael Lane) wrote:

double check your building codes, our state has had people doing this without getting the proper permits to get away from paying proper fees is guess.
OTOH, a freind of mine is planning on doing this, sounds good. he currently lives in a run down trailer house.
Tater wrote:

------------------------------------------- I have a lot of planning to do. Septic, electricty, water other. My biggest obstacle is my uncle, we both own 1/2 of the farm & he + SWMBO are not to happy with my idea. He won't buy me out or sell me his half but I am going to persvere.
thanks for all the replies
Michael Lane