building lamp

I want an 18-24 inch gooseneck clip/clamp-on lamp that will accommodate up to a 55watt compact fluorescent bulb. (task light for knitting as I posted in another thread 'daylight bulb')
Is this something a novice can do without making something dangerous? I don't want to screw it up and burn my house down from an electrical fire.
TIA, Bonnie in NJ
Bonnie Jean wrote:

Why bother? Lamps close to what you want are available at hardware stores for about $10
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId 98972&cp54971.1259282&page=2&doVSearch=no&clickid=lefttnav_catlinks_txt&pageBucket=0

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId 98972&cp54971.1259282&page=2&doVSearch=no&clickid=lefttnav_catlinks_txt&pageBucket=0
Not in an 18-24 gooseneck. I need to clamp it on my nightstand and have it shine down from a bit behind me. Thanks for your response though.
Bonnie Jean wrote:

OK, how about a floor lamp? I bought one from http://rewci.com/verhapeylam.html