Building Code, Michigan

Detached garage being built in Suburb of Detroit, MI

Contractor claims a dispute I am having with him is because "It is Code." But somehow contractor's claim of "Code" is so un-reasonable for a detached garage, it makes me think any similar actual rule would be for an attached garage.

Cannot seem to find anything on internet for local building code (county or city). So, How do I find out if contractor is bull***ting me or if there is really a building code requirement.

No, I an not sure I do trust him on this issue.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
Phil-In-Mich.

Call the appropriate local building code enforcement agency.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

And you can't ask your local building dept. because you didn't get a permit. Right? Buy the ICC residential building code book. Online.

Reply to
Manster

Tell him the freaking code book can pay his bill!

If he wants money from YOU, he'll build things the way YOU want them built.

Reply to
HeyBub

"Phil-In-Mich." wrote

You got more than one estimate right? Check with the others. Call your city hall as they will have the info on what is 'code'. xxcarol

Reply to
Cshenk

The final word on building codes is *your* local inspector!

So ask at your local office, they are happy to answer questions. Might want to take pictures so they can see what you are talking about.

Also might help to say specifically here what is in question and the city you are located in. Maybe someone here is from that area and would know about the code for your city - in general...

Reply to
Bill

Never ceases to amaze me that people will ask what the code is. The 'true facts' are that when it comes to code, if you have to pass inspection, the only place to go is the office that will be doing the inspection.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

For the record, I took the advise given in this thread and contacted the local building inspector's office. (And yes, after the expected unfriendly greetings, condescending attitude, and basic rudeness that has to be endured by locals here...) I was told the contractor had indeed made up his claim that it had to be done his way in order for the building inspector to pass the building code inspection.

To verify I contacted the building inspector in a different local city, and county; WOW what a difference. Polite, eager to offer advise, and explained more than I had asked, but I didn't know I need the extra information. Now I wonder, shouldn't building inspector office's other places be like this? (Yes, again got confirmation that my contractor had fabricated his code claim!)

The contractor wants to do it the cheap way, and is using the Building Code Inspection to justify doing it his way, not the way I, the paying customer, wants it done which would cost the contractor some profit.

I also learned that the contractor had taken some 'shortcuts' to obtain the building permit, but since he was required to obtain the building permit, I guess I can't complain. But it sure shows a pattern of fabrication and un-truthfulness.

Phil

Reply to
Phil-In-Mich.

Having lived in Michigan for over 60 years, I can verify that the politeness and helpfulness of all Michigan public officials is directly proportionally to the distance away from the city of Detroit.

Reply to
DonC