Building burns to the ground because of no Cellphone Service

Page 3 of 3
On 10/16/2015 12:51 AM, bob haller wrote:

That is truly tragic. It's a real shame that you were there, and you were concerned, but had no way to call to have the smoke reported. Sounds like if the fire department had responded when you saw the smoke, the building could have been saved.
I sure wish this had turned out better.

Smoke covering your view of the roof? That's a good reason to pound some doors and try to rouse up some one.
Ah, well. It's done now.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

So small no local sheriff, even???
But the issue of no service or very limited service is one we're used to out here. Cell is only one of many limited or lacking in rural areas and more is lost as time goes by rather than gained as concentration on the more urban areas intensifies for better profit margins...
Everything from postal to transportation to medical access is departing...
Some wireless initiatives are, in fact, about the only thing that we've seen any improvement in at all.

The sheriffs are in a larger nearby town, but nearby is actually about 14 miles away. They drive through that town on occasion, but not real often. You see them more on weekends around bar closing time, and that's mostly just to find drunk drivers. There are no local cops of any type in that town, but they do have a newly build modern fire dept. It's too bad they built that nice and modern F.D. and neglected to install any means to contact them after hours. That town has ambulances and medical units as part of that F.D. but once again, no way to contact them after hours, if the emergency is not inside a home with a wired phone.
The postal service in that town was cut several years ago. The post office closed, and a small shed was built where everyone's mailbox for the whole town is located, so they did not have to deliver mail to individual homes anymore.

If you are able to identify the difference between a power line, cable tv, and phone line, you should be able to find dial tone somewhere. ;-)
(Amazon.com product link shortened)

wrote in message = </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>A small rural town in the Midwest has no cellphone signal at all. Last</DIV> <DIV>week I was driving thru that town and developed vehicle problems, late</DIV> <DIV>at night. The only businesses that might have been open that late would</DIV> <DIV>have been taverns, but they were closed. </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>I grabbed my cell intending to call a friend to come help me, but I = got</DIV> <DIV>"NO SERVICE". I grabbed my tools, popped open the hood, and began trying</DIV> <DIV>to find the problem. That's when I noticed smoke coming across the roof</DIV> <DIV>of a restaurant building. At first I thought it was just a chimney from</DIV> <DIV>a wood stove or something like that, and the smoke was just = rolling</DIV> <DIV>across the roof. (It was cold that night). But just to be sure, = I</DIV> <DIV>grabbed my flashlight and walked over to the building and looked around.</DIV> <DIV>I saw no flames, so I just assumed it was a chimney, but I could = not see</DIV> <DIV>any chimney either, since the smoke was covering my view of the = roof,</DIV> <DIV>with only a flashlight.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>I went back to working on my car, and occasionally looked at that roof.</DIV> <DIV>The smoke seemed to be getting less, so I just figured it was just = a</DIV> <DIV>chimney. One and a half hours later I was able to find the car problem,</DIV> <DIV>which was repairable and did not require any new parts to get = home</DIV> <DIV>(corroded electrical connection). I got my car running, and looked = at</DIV> <DIV>that building one more time, and still saw no flames or sign of = any</DIV> <DIV>actual fire. I was tired and glad to have my car running again, and = I</DIV> <DIV>drove home, knowing that the next day I'd do a more permanent = repair on</DIV> <DIV>my car. </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>The next morning I went to the auto parts store to get what I = needed,</DIV> <DIV>and told the guy how I had gotten stranded in that small town = last</DIV> <DIV>night. He said "did you see the huge fire there?"&nbsp; I asked = what burned.</DIV> <DIV>He said the restaurant burned to the ground. I later found that someone</DIV> <DIV>called in the fire about 3 hours after I initially saw the smoke. = I</DIV> <DIV>nearly became sick to my stomach after he told me. </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Normally, I would have called 911 and suggested that they come and check</DIV> <DIV>that building, and told them I dont see any actual fire, but it = looks</DIV> <DIV>suspicious. But I could not use my cellphone to make the call. If I = had</DIV> <DIV>seen an actual fire, I would have banged on house doors and = hopefully</DIV> <DIV>woke someone up, but I did not want to wake someone up because of smoke</DIV> <DIV>coming from a chimney.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Ive felt sort of sick about this ever since, but even more angry because</DIV> <DIV>that town has no means of calling for help in an emergency. Until 3 = or 4</DIV> <DIV>years ago, there was a payphone there, but that's now gone. So, to make</DIV> <DIV>myself feel better, I called the phone company and asked them why = the</DIV> <DIV>payphone was removed. They said payphones are obsolete. I did not hold</DIV> <DIV>back when I said "OBSOLETE MY ASS, WHEN THERE IS NO CELLPHONE = SERVICE</DIV> <DIV>THERE. THERE WAS ALREADY A BUILDING LOST, MUST SOMEONE DIE = BEFORE</DIV> <DIV>SOMETHING IS DONE?". I told the same thing to the sheriffs and = fire</DIV> <DIV>chief when I told them what I saw. </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>We supposedly have all this high technology these days. We have = all</DIV> <DIV>these laws to protect us from every damn thing, such as seatbelt laws,</DIV> <DIV>smoking restrictions, product alerts over lead, and all sorts of other</DIV> <DIV>toxics, and the list goes on. But are we really any safer?&nbsp; = Maybe the</DIV> <DIV>big cities are, but not these rural areas. They are worse off than they</DIV> <DIV>used to be. There is no excuse that payphone can not still be = there. Who</DIV> <DIV>cares if it's obsolete.&nbsp; It's NOT OBSOLETE when that is all = that can be</DIV> <DIV>used in a town like that.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Anyhow, I do not and will not accept that answer. I have now contacted</DIV> <DIV>some of the top politicians in the state and county, and will continue</DIV> <DIV>to persue this until something is done. I was told they plan to install</DIV> <DIV>a cellphone tower, but I found that was planned 4 years ago, and nothing</DIV> <DIV>has been done. I said, "even if they do eventually build a cell tower,</DIV> <DIV>what happens until then?"&nbsp; JUST PUT THE DAMN PAYPHONE = BACK!</DIV> <DIV>I'm sure the phone companies have lots of unused payphones, and all = it</DIV> <DIV>takes is a half hour of time and a few screws and some wire to connect</DIV> <DIV>it. Why is that so difficult??????</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>By the way, the fire began in the attic and was caused by = electrical</DIV> <DIV>issues. Becase of a metal roof, it remained concealed. </DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=
I was with a friend, and we ran out of gas at the top of a BIG hill, right by a sign for the gas station in the next town. 2 miles right off the interstat the sign said.
We coasted the entire 2 miles right into the gas station:) IT WAS CLOSED:(
I had some work cleaning solvent in my car. it was a 50 / 50 mix of acetone and methyl alcohol.
put a small bottle in the tankand nursed it to the nearest gas station.
now i mentioned this to my boss earl. who ran ut of gas soon after. he put a gallon in his vehicle, and had to buy a new carb. he was mad at me.....
every year at christmas the accounting department gave me a bill for one gallon of that fluid as a gag.....

Back in the late 1970's when there was a gas shortage going on, I did not have enough gas in my car, and the nearest gas station was 15 miles away. In order to get to that city, I mixed 3/4 gallon of gas with 3/4 gallon of furnace oil (from my oil furnace). My car ran like absolute shit, but it did get me to the gas station. Nothing in the carburetor or engine was damaged, but it took several tanks of gas before it ran normally again.