Building burns to the ground because of no Cellphone Service

Page 2 of 3

Street level payphones are still very much a presence in NYC, so maybe that technique could be used over there.
Basically, the trick is... to allow advertising on the phone kiosk.
In NYC, for example, if you run a bookstore (hey, grandpa, what's a book?) and you want to place a banner across teh sidewalk or a clapboard sign.. well, you can't.
But if there's a payphone on the corner, you can put up a 3 foot by 6 foot sign on it. And there are a whole bunch of sides to that kiosk...
On 10/15/2015 6:47 PM, M.L. wrote:

I wasn't there, but I used to be a volunteer FF. It is very possible that a good FD might have saved the building, or much of the building.
On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 14:47:53 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

Well, if you feel so strongly that everyone should be cared for then put your money where your liberal mouth is; pay for the damn payphone yourself.
While you're at it, quit whining!
On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 19:10:00 -0500, Gordon Shumway

Hell, the owner may have set the fire. And even if he didn't he may be glad no one called till it was too late because that way the whole thing burned instead of it just being damaged. Now he can just get the money for the place and decide to either rebuild or take the money and run. Saves on demolition costs too.
Per Ashton Crusher:

I didn't want to say anything because I know nothing.... but now that you have said it.... -)
--
Pete Cresswell

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 19:10:00 -0500, Gordon Shumway

+1
On Thursday, October 15, 2015 at 3:51:15 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

or instal a VOIP phone that automatically calls 911 only as soon as its picked up.
simple cheap solution

What is a VOIP phone? Is that what I posted in another message in this thread, where it's a device that looks similar to a payphone, but with no dial buttons, and only calls 911 ????
While telcos wont make much money from a payphone, I think they should be required to install them in small rural towns. After all, they are making money from each customer in that town, so they should provide an emergency phone. There cant be a lot of maintenance on those phones.
Besides, there are federal funds available for providing 911 service in rural areas, but it seems like many of the towns are not using it.
On Friday, October 16, 2015 at 11:23:40 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

Given the explosion in cell phones, I don't see the need. We have far better phone availability today than we ever did with pay phones. The far better solution to the OP's case would be for someone to provide cell phone service to that town. How do we even know they really don't already have it? Could be the carrier the OP has doesn't have service there, his phone is configured to roam, etc.

VOIP = Voice Over Internet Protocol, ie phone service over an internet connection. It's why copper landlines are rapidly disappearing.
On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 15:03:35 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

The Sheriffs and Fire Dept. acknowledge there is no service. A cell tower was to be built 4 years ago. A few months ago, they decided to abandon it, and move it to another small town, claiming it will still serve the town where the fire occured. Even the authorities said they doubt it will help since the planned location of the new tower will be 12 miles away. Even so, there is no planned date to build the tower, and it could be many more years ????
Even if they started to build a tower tomorrow, in the meantime there is still no emergency service. A payphone can probably be installed in an hour or two (or less).
Right now, payphones, or one of those 911 ONLY type of outdoor phones, are the only option. (Or a call box, but those are REALLY obsolete).
It will be nice if they ever build a cell tower, but until then, a means to call 911 is most important.
On Friday, October 16, 2015 at 10:12:04 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

I asked this before and didn't see an answer, so I'll try again.
How small is this town? Can they put the pay phone someplace where everyone - even out of towners - could find it if there was a fire anywhere in town?
Would a single pay phone solve the issue that you are concerned about?

On Friday, October 16, 2015 at 11:32:35 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm on the same page. If you really need to call 911 in a small town, you can certainly bang on someone's door. Likely doors are going to be easier to find when you've just had a serious accident or have an axe murderer chasing you, than a pay phone. The real big hole is when you're traveling in the middle of nowhere, hiking, etc and there is neither cell phone coverage, nor anyone living nearby that has phone service. The odd thing is that in a small town like that, you would think there would still be at least one pay phone left from years gone by. I'm going to start paying attention to where there are or aren't payphones around here today, just for the heck of it.
On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 04:18:24 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

If that frightens you, you should seriously consider never leaving the house.
On 10/17/2015 08:27 AM, CRNG wrote:

Here in the USA, you'd need a pay-phone installed every 100 feet because that's all most people can walk.
On 10/17/2015 07:39 AM, Corpulent wrote:

Here, you could walk around the block and pass 16 pay phones (if there was one every 100 feet).
Really, there MIGHT be a pay phone within 1.5 miles of here. I know there used to be a few (Kroger, and one at a gas station).
--
69 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).
On Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 7:18:30 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

Do you think it's time to officially call BS on this story?
It sure seems suspicious that he won't address my simple question related getting that pay phone reinstalled.
Maybe the fire story is true (the name of the town or a link to a news story would settle that) but Perhaps he finally realizes that a single pay phone isn't going to be the solution for an entire town, regardless of how small it is.
On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 21:11:51 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

You ignored my earlier reply about you paying for a payphone yourself to help those poor, abused citizens, why is that? One would think you are that towns' only hope of communicating with the outside world.
Please, open your wallet and help those victimized residents that cannot help themselves. It's your civic duty.
Let us know how you saved them when you have.

I looked up VOIP. That wont work at all, because there is no internet in that town. In fact the restaurant that burned was the only place in town that had WIFI, which in itself drew in customers, esp. young kids with smartphones. In warm weather they often sat outside using their internet phones.
Even where I live, which is close to a larger town, all I have is dialup, unless I was willing to pay around $100 a month for satellite.
Many rural areas around here are technologically deprived. But I know this is true in many parts of the country. I can live without fast internet, but not having emergency service is not only irritating, but dangerous.
On Friday, October 16, 2015 at 5:47:19 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

If the restaurant has wifi, then there is obviously some internet connectivity in the town. They are connected somehow. And if that restaurant is an open Wifi and you had a VOIP app on your smartphone, you could have made a call using that. I have a VOIP app on my phone.
On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 15:08:55 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

Since the origin of the fire was electrical, the WIFI was not likely working at that time. Plus I do not have a smartphone. Just a basic prepaid phone thats only a phone and texter.