Building a Floor

What would be the size of joist used in a one story house? 10" or 12"?

Reply to
basstracker66

Insufficient information for a meaningful response.

Try one of the online joist span calculators, such as the Canadian Wood Council's, and provide the missing information. It will tell you the allowable span based on deflection and wood species.

RicodJour

Your municipal building permit office can tell you.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

You put too much faith in those guys.

Reply to
Bob

It's not a matter of faith. Those are the guys who will be inspecting whatever you build. If you don't meet thier requirements, you will be tearing it back down and starting over again.

Commodore Joe Redcloud©

Reply to
Commodore Joe Redcloud©

Not around here. There's a good chance the one inspecting isn't the same one who works at the desk, and saying that you built according to the requirements given to you at the desk means nothing.

For that matter go to the desk & talk to two different people, there's a good chance you'll get two different answers, neither of which coincides with what an inspector might say. Of course, the same inspector might say different things on Tuesdays & Fridays.

From what I've seen honesty & integrity are sorely missing at building departments.

--kyle

Reply to
kyle york

it depends on the span and the requirements in your local area. some build a second floor deck with less, but ours is 8x8" posts, so overbuilding is good here in this case since the deck overlooks a cliff.

Reply to
buffalobill

OP-

Joist depth needed is a function of span & spacing; check your local code, check out some span calcuators on the web My 1930's hosue has

2x6 but they're supported every 4ft :)

also for long spans, to avoid winding up with a bouncy floor I would suggest either reading & understanding

Canadian Building Digest CBD-173. Floor Vibration

This is some very good work into the behavior of floor vibration

OR

short of doing the calcs (or having someone do them for you) I'd just bump up to the next joist depth. I'd also consider engineered ood joist for longer spans (again going deeper)

wood is cheap, problems are expensive

cheers Bob

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Newsgroups: alt.home.repair From: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com - Find messages by this author Date: 19 Jan 2006 08:49:35 -0800 Local: Thurs, Jan 19 2006 8:49 am Subject: Building a Floor

What would be the size of joist used in a one story house? 10" or 12"?

Reply to
BobK207

Reply to
Shawn Pixley