Building a Floor

What would be the size of joist used in a one story house? 10" or 12"?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Insufficient information for a meaningful response.
Try one of the online joist span calculators, such as the Canadian Wood Council's, and provide the missing information. It will tell you the allowable span based on deflection and wood species.
Your municipal building permit office can tell you.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

It's not a matter of faith. Those are the guys who will be inspecting whatever you build. If you don't meet thier requirements, you will be tearing it back down and starting over again.

Commodore Joe Redcloud
Greetings,
Commodore Joe Redcloud wrote:

Not around here. There's a good chance the one inspecting isn't the same one who works at the desk, and saying that you built according to the requirements given to you at the desk means nothing.
For that matter go to the desk & talk to two different people, there's a good chance you'll get two different answers, neither of which coincides with what an inspector might say. Of course, the same inspector might say different things on Tuesdays & Fridays.
From what I've seen honesty & integrity are sorely missing at building departments.
--kyle
it depends on the span and the requirements in your local area. some build a second floor deck with less, but ours is 8x8" posts, so overbuilding is good here in this case since the deck overlooks a cliff.
OP-
Joist depth needed is a function of span & spacing; check your local code, check out some span calcuators on the web My 1930's hosue has 2x6 but they're supported every 4ft :)
also for long spans, to avoid winding up with a bouncy floor I would suggest either reading & understanding
Canadian Building Digest CBD-173. Floor Vibration
http://irc.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/pubs/cbd/cbd173_e.html
This is some very good work into the behavior of floor vibration
OR
short of doing the calcs (or having someone do them for you) I'd just bump up to the next joist depth. I'd also consider engineered ood joist for longer spans (again going deeper)
wood is cheap, problems are expensive
cheers Bob
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Newsgroups: alt.home.repair From: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com - Find messages by this author Date: 19 Jan 2006 08:49:35 -0800 Local: Thurs, Jan 19 2006 8:49 am Subject: Building a Floor
What would be the size of joist used in a one story house? 10" or 12"?
Depends upon if you are using structural wall paper