Building a Deck -- Labor Rates

What kind of hourly rates can I expect to pay for building a deck by experienced deck builders in the midwest? I'm just trying to get a ballpark estimate at the moment.
Thanks.
On 30 Jul 2003 08:53:08 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@chachich.com (mdchachi) wrote:

Around $20 an hour.
On 30 Jul 2003 08:53:08 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@chachich.com (mdchachi) wrote:

    Why not ask the experienced deck builder?
    I would charge you $40 per hour. But I would build a deck that would last a long time.
        Good luck.
                Peter
It would also depend on what exactly is needed (how many holes need to be dug, how far will they have to haul the materials from the front yard, is it a second-story deck, etc.)
(mdchachi) wrote:

Depends on what wood you use. Use Ipe and you should be able to get 40-50 years maintenance free.
Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

BINGO ! ! ! We have a winner.
$60 an hour is reasonable. Most tradesman have to charge $50 and up to cover real expenses. Ed
wrote in message

with insurance and workermans comp. it can't be done for less than $85 per hr.
this is where bidding on a job by the sq./ft. does NOT pay (for contractors anyway)!
On 30 Jul 2003 08:53:08 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@chachich.com (mdchachi) wrote:

Take the three estimates you got from local contractors and average them.
Jeff
Mdchachi

Jeff Cochran

Nehmo Mdchanchi is asking for hourly - rates not bids on the job. He could ask the contractors to bid a rate, but that may not be a good method of determining what the job will cost.
Anyway, I don't approve of the blanket call-three-contractors-and-get-three-bids advice. There may be substantial differences in quality between one contractor over another. In some cases, you may not even talk to the person who does the actual work. In some cases, you may have found an excellent craftsman, but someone who has trouble making bids or presentations. Some of the best people don't do bids. And so on.
(Not to mention that you would be wasting the time of two out of three contractors.)
Better advice is to get a recommendation. If you don't know anybody to give you a recommendation, find a nicely made deck, and ask the owner.
--
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

Go to salary.com and look for carpenter.