Building a concrete step

I need to add onto an existing carport step that is approx 12 inches high. I am planning to create concrete step that is approx 6" x 12" x

36". This is my first attempt to build a concrete step so I have some basic questions.

- Is there anything fancy to build this other than make a wood form and pour the concrete?

- Is there a particular type of concrete I should get? I was planning on getting whatever is at one of the box stores.

- How do I calculate the amount of concrete to buy?

- Finally, is temperature a factor? It has started to get into the

40's and 50's in my area. Will this just make the set time longer?

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
txoutdoors

What about a footing and reinforcement? Even if you are pouring over a sturdy concrete walk you might consider drilling into the existing paving with anchor bolts & wiring some reinforcing mesh to those. A real pro would drill big holes & epoxy rebar to attach or rip out the paving & put a proper footing in maybe another 12 inches deep. Consider how freeze-thaw & shrinkage will crack so when it does crack at the seams, it's controllable and not a problem. Probably it's unavoidable to crack at the vertical joint & should be attached firmly to the paving but I'm not sure of your situation. Consider soil movement between different slabs.

Also be sure to slope the top surface to drain & maybe score it for traction & ideally mark the edge for visibility though if the other isn't it's better to match that I suppose.

txoutdoors wrote:

Reply to
Paul Furman