Building a cabin, info source?

I'm thinking about building a cabin and need some sources for info and design. It would be about 500 sq ft. and would have a well and septic system, and would be built and insulated for winter conditions in the Rockies.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Reply to
Kurt Gavin

Start by checking local building codes.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Be sure to build walls, roof, door and things like that.

Reply to
Stephen King

Even a small cabin can be hard to build up in the high country. Building codes can be restrictive and actively enforced. Well and septic can be big problems. Some old cabins are grandfathered but they never have any water or septic save for running streams and snow melt. Try to get a look at any newer cabins in the area. If you really wan't such a very small space you could consider a travel trailer or camper. Some are suitable for winter use and have self contained water and plumbing.

Reply to
Lawrence

Most mobile home manufacturers have a mountain cabin model that you could just plunk down on a pad and connect to the utilities.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

IIRC, there is a magazine called Log Home Living. Lots of info and sources.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Google Log Home Living, and go to their website. A section on "Log Home Design Ideas". There should be lots of things.

Don't know if Mother Earth magazine is still around or not. Lots of things for those living off the grid. If it is not published any more, I am sure there are some who have replaced it. All sorts of sources and how tos for people who want to live out in the woods.

I have a cabin in Utah. We are going to move to Utah soon, and will be spending about six months a year there, six months in a house at lower elevation. But, we are going to rig the cabin with special features that will allow us to go there even in the coldest snowiest weather and be comfortable.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Poster named North, on misc.survivalism is making a small cabin. Load up the usenet group on your server. Download the old messages, and go ask him how things are working out with his cabin.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

How much experience do you already have in construction? Are needing help with how to design and build a building in general, or specifically a winter cabin in the mountains?

I gotta say that I'm a little skeptical about whether an amature is going to be able to drill a well halfway up a mountain. Or even whether there will be water available at all. The septic system is likely to require a liscenced company to do the design and install.

So that just leaves the box itself, and that's really just a box.

Reply to
Goedjn