Building 20' sliding pool poles out of EMT conduit (is it possible?)

Page 3 of 3
On Thu, 09 May 2013 10:40:33 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

I googled a lot more, and almost all said the round cross section was stronger "pound for pound"; and, particularly, we're talking bending forces.
So, I think you're correct; the round tube (pound for pound) would be stronger considering the bending force against the flat edges of the square cross section.
Plus, round just seems "more comfortable" in human hands...
In summary, after googling s'more: Round seems to win hands down. a) It's cheaper b) It's (probably) stronger c) It's (probably) more comfortable

Certainly for equal weight. Given the same circumference/perimeter, a circle is larger than a square. The disadvantage of the circle is that telescoping sections will turn so it has to be clamped somehow.