Building 20' sliding pool poles out of EMT conduit (is it possible?)

Page 2 of 3

Dowel won't be strong enough. I think wood is completely impractical, but if I was determined, I'd think about bamboo. My guess is that you'd need a diameter of at least 2 inches to get the necessary stiffness.
--
Dan Espen

You may want to look at the grey plastic electrical conduit. I don't know of any coupling that will let it slide, but if you really have to have it slide, drill a hole or two about a foot down and put a bolt through it to hold them together.
On Mon, 06 May 2013 10:28:08 -0400, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I did test the gray electrical conduit at Home Depot, and it was really light but it was too flimsy (although it may be good for an outer sheath outside the steel EMT electrical conduit because it won't get hot in the sun as much that way).
The threaded electrical conduit was too heavy; the gray plastic too flimsy; the EMT conduit just right.
So that's why I settled on the EMT conduit.
As for the threaded bolt, I've already used that for repairing the pool poles - and it is a great idea.

You can see that hex machine bolt rusted ... so I might want to go with a stainless steel or nylon carriage style bolt, cut as flush as possible.
BTW, do you guys have a rule of thumb on how LONG a pool pole should be? For example, how many feet would you add for a 9' deep pool?

I thought you were new to this stuff?
In about 15 years I've gone through maybe 4 poles. I don't think that's unreasonable.
The hardest workout they get is lifting decaying leaves off the cover. The poles get left outside year round.
If I was determined to make my own, I would not try for telescoping, too much complication. Not sure what would be good though, you want strength but not the weight. Not really compatible qualities.
--
Dan Espen

Yeah, after cutting income taxes from a top rate of 70%, he agreed to some little tax increases here and there, mostly to achieve other things he wanted from Congress. I'll take cutting taxes by 60% once then raising them by 2% ten times any day.
When Reagan left office, taxes were still at 28%, instead of 70%. Boyyou libs are really something. It used to be all that you bitched about was that Reagan increased the national debt, allegedly because he CUT taxes. But now that Obama is increasing the debt at a rate far worse than anything under any other president, it's time to shift tactics. And with the modest deficits under Reagan, we had a booming economy, 5% unemployment, an end to double digit inflation, a rejuvinated military proud of itself and he ended the Cold War, defeating the Soviet Union. What exactly do we have to show for Obama's $6tril in new debt? He's adding another $900bil this year alone.
On Mon, 06 May 2013 13:03:15 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

I've had the pool for 3 years. I bought all new equipment at that time as it came with nothing. So no pole in that picture is older than 3 years.
I'm amazed anyone would put up with the crummy quality of the poles I have, so, either you're not buying from Leslies and Home Depot (where I'm getting my stuff), or, there's something brutal about my environment that isn't in yours.
Mine has sun all day - no shade whatsoever - so I know that is brutal - but - not for aluminum poles. Also my pool is deep, and leaves blow in all the time because of storms, so, there's a lot of deep digging of truckloads of leaves from the bottom (since it's a supposedly self-cleaning pool, the bottom is precipitously deep, on purpose but that's a whole 'nuther story).

3 years, wow, that's crazy.

HD, never.
Leslies, only when my preferred place is closed.
For brick retail, I prefer Sun Pools (Rt. 22 NJ), not a chain. Mostly I use the wonders of the internet. Great for liners. No store can even get close to the selection online.
Google shows lots of poles, some labeled "professional".
--
Dan Espen

On Mon, 06 May 2013 11:41:07 -0700, Oren wrote:

Well ... other than that!?
On Mon, 06 May 2013 10:11:52 -0700, SMS wrote:

That's very strange. Are yours the aluminum ones from Home Depot or Leslies?
I'm still using the same original aluminum pool pole from when my pool was built over 20 years ago. You must be abusing yours. How in the world would you get dents in it? It's not a hammer.

On Tue, 07 May 2013 10:33:10 -0700, Oren wrote:

I hadn't even noticed the dents until you said that, simply because the bends which break eventually caused more problems, as did the cracks in the adjusting plastic.
I suspect the dents are from being brushed against the sharp side of the pool edge, which has an overhang of stone. But I'm not sure.
On 5/6/13 12:03 AM, Danny D wrote:

I have no idea what telescoping tubing or pipe might cost. Aluminum irrigation pipe is typically cut to 30 foot lengths. One man can pick up an eight inch diameter pipe with reasonable effort. Suppose you went with a 3" or so diameter pipe or square tube? Is there such a thing as a telescoping mast for watercraft? Flagpole?
On Wed, 08 May 2013 20:41:52 -0500, Dean Hoffman wrote:

I like the idea of telescoping square tubes of aluminum. They will be stronger than circular tubes & just as light. And, the clamping mechanism will be simpler.
Googling for a source for 10 foot or longer lengths, I find Grainger a bit pricy for the 6'foot lengths at $18: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/aluminum-square-tube-stock/aluminum/raw-materials/ecatalog/N-cl0
At Lowes, 8 feet of aluminum 1" square tubing Item #: 215640 Model #: 11392, is also pricy at $31.33.
Yet 1/2" SCH 40 (.840 OD X .109W) 6061-T6 Aluminum Structural Pipe is about $26.40 for a twenty foot length: http://www.metalsdepot.com/catalog_cart_view.php?msg Square aluminum pipe 1/2 SCH 40 (.840 OD X .109W) 6061-T6 Aluminum Structural Pipe at that same place is $26 for 20 feet: http://www.metalsdepot.com/catalog_cart_view.php?msg There is a nice weight table for various sizes here: http://www.metricmetal.com/products/sq_alumtube.htm
So, maybe the square aluminum is the best choice, since it will withstand the corrosion better, and, it will be lighter, and, if square, just as strong or stronger than the steel.

Pretty sure, for equal weight, round tube is stronger than square.
--
Dan Espen

/...

round PVC pipe.....

-snip-

And now, to go full circle--- I'm pretty sure that if Danny D spent a few bucks on a decent telescoping pole, he'd do it once, spend no time on Usenet trying to build a better mousetrap-- and it would be the lightest, strongest, cheapest pole [in the long run] possible.
I'm not kind to my tools. My $40 pole from 12 years ago did pool service for 4-5 years and now knocks apples and peaches out of trees in the summer-- and pours rock salt on my gutters in the winter.
Jim
On Thu, 09 May 2013 02:26:42 -0700, bob haller wrote:

PVC appears to be too flexible in the widths we're contemplating...

Too heavy.
On Wed, 08 May 2013 23:10:22 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

Hmmm... can that be true?
Assuming the same material, round or square, I thought the four corners on the square reinforced against the inevitable bending forces that occur in pool cleaning better than would the round rod?
Googling, I see that an apples-to-apples comparison matters greatly, as we don't care about compression or torsion strength, for example, in a pool pole.
Also, the comparison, for home use, would not really be pound-for-pound or even inch-for-inch, but dollars-per-fifteen-feet comparison, since we're looking to compare bending strength for a cheap pole of round-steel versus square steel (or, if the square steel is too heavy, square aluminum).

I think the squared material _might_ be stronger at the corner. But a millimeter away at the flat part, it's going to be less strong. Since a square tube is mostly flat, I think we're talking mostly less strong.

Right, mostly resistance to bending.

No opinion on cost. I think square comes up short in strength.
--
Dan Espen