Builder forgot a heating vent...

So my builder forgot to put a heating vent in my bedroom. Is it as simple as cutting a hole in the bulkhead and duct and then screwing in the ventilation grate? Or is the job going to require the tear down of the entire bulkhead? I'm hoping it won't be too much of a tear down because everything is already painted. Thanks.

Reply to
sixstring_67

How about publicizing the idiot's name, just in case his next victim happens into the newsgroup?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

How long have you had the home? When was it built? Have you talked to the builder?

Reply to
Lawrence

The builder is coming in next week. The home is just over a year old and still under warranty. However, I don't even think that a missing vent would be considered a warranty item. They just have to put one in. I wanted to know in advance just how messy a job it might be.

Reply to
sixstring_67

The builder will be coming in next week. Actually it's a company that the builder subcontracts to do the HVAC for the homes. I will see if they give me a hard time or try and come up with excuses when I tell them about the vent. If they do, and they refuse to do it then I will publish their names. BTW, I'm in Canada so I'm not sure if this group is catered to Americans or Canadians.

Reply to
sixstring_67

Excuses? hahaha! There *are* no excuses! Unless Canada has been moved to the Caribbean, every room gets a heat vent. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Is this a joke? Did you use this bedroom during the winter? Why didn't you get this taken care of immediately? Did YOU not notice the problem right away?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in news:php4i.8957$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

Even there every room has heat...

Reply to
Clark

This is what happened. There is a large bedroom window. There is a heat vent on one edge of the window which heats up one side of the room nicely. However, there should be another vent on the other edge of the window. That is how the model homes have it. And that is how my next door neighbor who has the same floor plan as me has it. This was my first winter and I realized that even with the heat on I was cold because my bed lies on the other edge of the window where the heat vent is missing.

I made mention of this 30 days after I took possesion but the builder told me that it was probably only supposed to have one vent. I now know that that's a bunch of BS because every master bedroom should have 2 vents. Plus the builder representative who did the 30 day inspection with me didn't really say concretely that he knew for sure if there was only supposed to be one vent.

And even if there was only supposed to be one vent then they should have centered it over the window instead of putting it on the edge.

Bottom line. My adjoining neighbor with the same floorplan has 2 vents. The model homes with the same floorplan have 2 vents. All other units I've seen have 2 vents.

The HVAC guy who's coming next week better not give me a hard time.

Reply to
sixstring_67

I see your point, but it really depends on how the warranty is phrased, and maybe even statutes or prior court decisions about specific phrases (In the US, but I think Canada and the US are the same in that regard.)

No matter how reasonable it seems that they should have to put one in, there could still be a time limit on such a request. After all, there is a time limit on the filing of lawsuits and the prosecution of most crimes, for different reasons I guess, but nonethelss.

There was an intersection of 2 1/2 or 3 expressways in Carolina or somewhere where they left out one of the ramps. They built what ws in the plans, but it wasn't in the design, and there was no way to get from one xway going in one of the directions to another expressway in one direction. People somehow figured out where they had to slow down and turn onto the grass, then make their own "acceleration lane". But a permanent ramp couldn't be built there because there wasn't enough room. They built one somewhere, in about a year.

Reply to
mm

I have to submit a for at the 30 day, 1 year, and 2 year dates for any repairs and or other related stuff. So I'm pretty sure I can still claim this as a problem on my 2 year date.

Reply to
sixstring_67

I've seen a number of similar things around here (Portland, OR). Folks with zero cold air returns; folks with rooms without any heat / ac outlets from he ducts.

It sure does make you wonder about the effectiveness and integrity of the county building inspectoion pocess before a certificate of occupancy is issued,

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

Or at least every room that has an outside wall.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Martindale

Sorry, but that is not their job. If the house had heat, it passed inspection. They are interested in safety, codes met, inspections done. They don't care if the fixtures are ugly, just that water runs and the toilet flushes.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You see a lot of weird things when the builders are throwing up the houses as fast as they do here in Phoenix.

About 10 years ago, a friend bought a new house from a national builder. There were several amusing mistakes that the construction supervisors didn't catch.

Drywall crews came in and drywalled over the AC return duct for the downstairs, kinda made for reduced airflow. When he called his builder to complain about the AC not cooling too well, they came in and went, "Duh, where's the return?"

They swapped the hot and cold water lines to the upstairs bathroom. The taps being reversed on the sink didn't bother him too much, but he didn't much care for the condensation buildup on his backside if he spent too long on the throne.

Jerry

Reply to
jerry_maple

I trust you that your within the warranty. I was only warning you that no matter how reasonable it seems for there not to be a time limit, there may well be.

Reply to
mm

I just hope they do the right thing and put in the vent. I still don't consider this to be a warranty item. I consider warranty items to be things that break within a given time period. In this case it was a vent that was forgotten. It would be good company courtesy to install the vent and offer and apology.

Reply to
sixstring_67

We can't see it from here. But if it's supply air, probably means pull a bunch of wall apart.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Real simple-- look at a copy of the plans. If it shows the vent, they owe it to you. If not, then it is open to discussion. The fact that the model home, and the others similar to yours have it may or may not have any bearing. As to what is involved in installing it, no one can see the job from here, so no way that question can be answered. Good luck Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

In most jurisdictions it is breach of contract. Frequently a 6 or more year statute of limitations.

Warranty has little to do with it.

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin