Buick with leaking head gasket

This is more of a Sherlock Holmes type mystery than a practical matter.

Neighbor has a leaking head gasket in his Buick bad enough so that the engine runs rough all the time. Watch does with it is not my concern.

When driving it runs cool. When sitting idling the temp increases rapidly. If he puts in neutral and revs the engine, he says it drops to normal quickly. Radiator, fan clutch, thermostat, water pump all checked out and working normally.

I'm wondering .... when the engine is turning slowly, if the the coolant pressure drops, which could be letting more exhaust leak into the coolant and raise the temp? Says when the temp goes high, he can smell antifreeze, probably blowing out the overflow.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

The exaust should do nothing. Might need radiator and system cleaned. ?

Greg

Reply to
gregz

A lot of cars run hot at low RPM. One guy had to shift into park at red lights and "race the engine" to cool it down. Didn't overheat on the highway. Probable clogged radiator or bad water pump. .

Reply to
micky

On Saturday, April 18, 2015 at 1:45:46 AM UTC-4, Snuffy Hub Cap McKinney wr ote:

gine runs rough all the time. Watch does with it is not my concern.

y. If he puts in neutral and revs the engine, he says it drops to normal q uickly. Radiator, fan clutch, thermostat, water pump all checked out and w orking normally.

pressure drops, which could be letting more exhaust leak into the coolant a nd raise the temp? Says when the temp goes high, he can smell antifreeze, probably blowing out the overflow.

most head gasket leaks crate white exhaust.

if coolant leaks into oil engine will soon be siezed

Reply to
bob haller

First question - what year and model???

If it has a leaking headgasket, nothing else matters. It NEEDS to be fixed (or thecar scrapped)

Reply to
clare

+1
Reply to
Tony Hwang

engine runs rough all the time. Watch does with it is not my concern.

idly. If he puts in neutral and revs the engine, he says it drops to norma l quickly. Radiator, fan clutch, thermostat, water pump all checked out an d working normally.

nt pressure drops, which could be letting more exhaust leak into the coolan t and raise the temp? Says when the temp goes high, he can smell antifreez e, probably blowing out the overflow.

+1

I can't explain the behavior of why it runs hot at idle in terms of the leaking headgasket. I'd suspect that there might be another problem, like blocked radiator, that's the real problem, even though OP says that has been ruled out. If there is a separate cooling system problem, that could have allowed the car to overheat, warp the head, and that's why the head gasket is leaking. Symptom of partially blocked radiator can be overheating at idle. With the car not moving, less air moves through radiator, so it needs more radiator performance that when it's moving.

Reply to
trader_4

Hi, Today's new cars rad. fan is thermostat controlled electric motor driven. So Air passing thru the rad. is not like old cars. If suspected we can do the rad pressure test with dye which will tell what's going on. If it is a leaking gasket problem the sooner the repair is done the better. Or bigger problems will happen.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

te:

he engine runs rough all the time. Watch does with it is not my concern.

apidly. If he puts in neutral and revs the engine, he says it drops to nor mal quickly. Radiator, fan clutch, thermostat, water pump all checked out and working normally.

lant pressure drops, which could be letting more exhaust leak into the cool ant and raise the temp? Says when the temp goes high, he can smell antifre eze, probably blowing out the overflow.

all garage needs to do to check for exhaust leak into coolant.

removed radiator cap run engine with cap off, check for carbon monoxide at caps location.

also try pressurizing cooling system with pressure tester.

if pressure goes down their is a leak somewhere.

Reply to
bob haller

Answer to the first question will answer the second one.

Reply to
clare

What he should do is go buy some "block seal" in a can and follow the instructions exactly. That stuff sometimes actually works. The worst that can happen is you are out the $30 for the stuff. At this point he has nothing to lose but the $30.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

ngine runs rough all the time. Watch does with it is not my concern.

ly. If he puts in neutral and revs the engine, he says it drops to normal quickly. Radiator, fan clutch, thermostat, water pump all checked out and working normally.

pressure drops, which could be letting more exhaust leak into the coolant and raise the temp? Says when the temp goes high, he can smell antifreeze, probably blowing out the overflow.

but it will clog the heater.........

Reply to
bob haller

I wouldn't say it WILL clog the heater. There is a chance it will plug the heater. For the uber-cautious, it's generally not hard to bypass the heater core and even the heater valve untill the leak is sealed.

Reply to
clare

e engine runs rough all the time. Watch does with it is not my concern.

pidly. If he puts in neutral and revs the engine, he says it drops to norm al quickly. Radiator, fan clutch, thermostat, water pump all checked out a nd working normally.

ant pressure drops, which could be letting more exhaust leak into the coola nt and raise the temp? Says when the temp goes high, he can smell antifree ze, probably blowing out the overflow.

it clogged my heater core, the dashboard had to be taken apart to replace t he heater core. it was a dodge caravan.

i learned a costly lesson........

Reply to
bob haller

Hmm, Same happened to me on Ford PU truck in winter time. It can go both ways. Solve the problem at least for the time being or else.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

the engine runs rough all the time. Watch does with it is not my concern.

rapidly. If he puts in neutral and revs the engine, he says it drops to normal quickly. Radiator, fan clutch, thermostat, water pump all checked out and working normally.

coolant pressure drops, which could be letting more exhaust leak into the coolant and raise the temp? Says when the temp goes high, he can smell antifreeze, probably blowing out the overflow.

Thanks guys. How long would you expect it to take to know if block seal works?

Engine & heads are cast iron.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

Takes only a few minutes to a half hour. Plugging the heater core can take an hour or so.

Best way to handle it is to warm the engine, add the block seal, teh let it run while you look at the ads for new cars because yours may be junk with a bad head gasket and plugged heater core. No way I'd trust that crap. But... it is your car so do as you please.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

te:

he engine runs rough all the time. Watch does with it is not my concern.

apidly. If he puts in neutral and revs the engine, he says it drops to nor mal quickly. Radiator, fan clutch, thermostat, water pump all checked out and working normally.

lant pressure drops, which could be letting more exhaust leak into the cool ant and raise the temp? Says when the temp goes high, he can smell antifre eze, probably blowing out the overflow.

That's a good point. If it's a car made in the last couple of decades, it probably has an electric radiator fan. If that isn't running when the car needs it, ie when the temp is going up, that would cause overheating. Even many older cars had auxiliary electric fans to supplement the mechanical, belt drive one.

Reply to
trader_4

engine runs rough all the time. Watch does with it is not my concern.

rapidly. If he puts in neutral and revs the engine, he says it drops to normal quickly. Radiator, fan clutch, thermostat, water pump all checked out and working normally.

coolant pressure drops, which could be letting more exhaust leak into the coolant and raise the temp? Says when the temp goes high, he can smell antifreeze, probably blowing out the overflow.

- most head gasket leaks crate white exhaust.

-

- if coolant leaks into oil engine will soon be siezed

Milky coolant from engine, but no water in oil.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

Any other risks you folks know of? Clare's idea of bypassing the heater & valve would take that out of the loop. Will pass that on to the neighbor and let him decide. Pretty mild weather here - won't need a car heater for at least 6 months.

How does block seal work? If it doesn't seal and then he gets the head done, would the seal residue be a problem?

Any recommended brands? Searching I see K&W, Bar, CRC.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney