buffing countertop

I am on phase three of a major masterbath remodel (Phase 1 tear out old tile tub surround, termite damaged wood and rebuild and retile; Phase 2 tear out carpet and tile floor in w.c. and retile) Phase three involves refinishing vanity cabinet work, hardware replacement and countertop.
The current counter is a type of solid synthetic material, not a laminate over wood, which is black in color with faux white marble appearance. It is a nice top but has had a bit of wear and has a lot of small scratches. Is there any material, i was thinking some type of rubbing compound combined with a buffer, that would polish this surface. I dont' want to paint, I don't think it would take as the suface is pretty hi gloss to begin with but will replace if there is not a suitable alternative to renew this finish.
Try Meguires compounds and if not acceptable replace?
On 27 Apr 2004 07:20:53 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@uth.tmc.edu (sigismundo) wrote:

sigismundo wrote:

It would be nice to know who made it and what they recommend. I suggest the problem may be finding the right compound that will give you the same finish you have/want. Otherwise you will end up polishing out the whole thing to make it even.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
sigismundo wrote:

Any polishing/rubbing compound...rouge, tripoli...auto paint polishing stuff. Just buff it *SLOOOW*
-- dadiOH _____________________________
sigismundo wrote:

After reading the responses from others I checked out the instructions that came with mine (Swanstone brand). It gave these instructions:
Stains Abrasive cleaners like Bon Ami Abrasive bad like Scotch-Brite (no steel wool or metal scouring pads) Bleach (special instructions provided)
Don not use cleaners designed to remove iron or rust
Marks - WHITE automotive rubbing compound
Scratches Sand paper starting with course going to finest grit until scratch disappears. Blend area in with abrasive finishing pad
I strongly suggest you check the instructions that came with your product or check with the manufacturer.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math