buff out scratches in newly refinished hardwood

Hello,
I had my hardwood floors refinished about 6 months ago. Just last night, I had some people over and to my horror, one of the felt pads on a chair fell off. Now this spot where the chair was used has some light scratches. Can I do anything to buff these out or fill them in? I've heard that rubbing the area (which is only about a square foot) with polyurethane diluted with paint thinner would fill in this area without being noticeable
Thanks
PGG wrote:

Won't fill it in (without many coats) but it will make it nearly invisible. No need to rub, just wipe on.

Instead, I tried rubbing the area very lightly with 0000 steel wool and wood cleaner. This helped a ton and I barely notice the area now. It seemed to work...hope it wasn't dumb!
whyd you ask then?