Buderus or Crown Boilers

Page 1 of 2
I'm considering upgrading my heating/hot water boiler in the next year. It still works, but at 30 years it is possibly going to die at some point so I'm starting to plan ahead.
I'm considering either a Buduerus or Crown Boiler.
www.crownboiler.com www.crownboiler.com/products/brochures/MegaStor.pdf
http://www.buderus.net/ is the other
I don't have hard quotes, but ball park is $7000 to $7500 for boiler and indirect water heater. Efficiency is 86% so I'll be saving a bit over present heater, but I don't see huge savings. I'm at 75% to 80% now so on 800 gallons I'll cut back 80 gallons or $240 a year. Unless someone show that is incorrect, the payback is very long at $3 a gallon.
Comments welcome.

I use to wire lots of Crown boilers. They were fine and held up well. I do a lot of Peerless now, which I find similar to Crown, and hold up fine as well. I'm not a big fan of Buderus oil boilers, but only because I don't like the layout of the controls. It makes wiring messy, but I sure do love the color.

RBM wrote:

The Buderus are certainly nice, but do have the "Euro" funkieness to them. With either one, what burner would you get? Carlin, Beckett, Riello...

Good point. I don't have a preference. Should I?
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

When I did the oil burner service evening class over at Cheney Tech, I kinda liked the Riellos for their simple modular serviceability. Granted I'm not at all in that industry, but I had some evenings to fill...
wrote in message

One of the nice features of the Buderus is that the burner is enclosed, which deadens the noise to some degree. Almost all boilers that I wire, have Beckett burners on them, but on occasion I'm seeing Riello, which I'm told make less noise. I never see Carlin except on commercial boilers

RBM wrote:

I was pricing indirect water heaters at Home Depot. I want to add one to my wood boiler that is connected to my baseboard. HOLY SHIT! They want $900.00 dollars just for the god damn tank. It's just a tank with a water coil inside. No heating elements, no burners, no nothing else in it. That is utter highway robbery. I'll build my own before I pay that!
--
Claude Hopper :)

? ?

I've not priced them yet but from what I've seen so far, they are generally well constructed with stainless steel and lifetime warranty. . The Buderus has a "Thermoglaze" interior, but they do not state the material it is applied to. A 40 gallon tank is 238 pounds so there has to be a fair amount of material in there.
The Crown is SS Mega-Stor has a lifetime guarantee. CROWN Boiler Co. warrants the Mega-Stor's stainless steel tank and coil against leakage for as long as the original purchaser owns the home in which it is installed.

What do you think of the system 2000, what I read is good, is this just a regular system with HW tank.
What do you think of the system 2000, what I read is good, is this just a regular system with HW tank.
************************************************* Never heard of System 2000 until now. I did a search and found this. http://www.energykinetics.com/index.shtml
Impressive system. I sent for more information. On the video they show that a homeowner in the town where I work has one. I'd like to get the name and go see it and find out how it really works.
My only concern is the electronics. I wonder how reliable and how easily repaired it may be.

at "The Wall" at www.Heatinghelp.com installers there have good things to say about them.
wrote in message

Mark, I talked to a dealer about them today. He's putting in about 40 a year for the past few years. He also said that he does not know of anyone that has saved less than 25% on oil with one compared to a conventional boiler. Most were about 30%.
One dealer quoted $7400 for the Buderus with hot water tank, this guy quoted $7650 for the same type of setup with the System 2000.
I have to dig out the oil bills. I used 230 gallons from April to October, a total of 5 1/2 months, with little of it for heating. Total is about 850 gallons a year. I should be able to save over 200 gallons or $600 a year. Not a great payback, but still pretty good. Something to think about. Ed

Its good you have the option and forsight to reseasrch everything, I guess usualy they go bad and leak and you are at the installers mercy of what he recomends or is in stock. I looked a little at the 2000 and I see it shuts down fire first to circulate heat but I wonder if other new stuff is not just as good, their advertisment seems a bit optimistic even stating they outdo condensing units. That condensing Buderus with a similar tank seems like its worth more research, I would think controlls are standard stuff. Either way you will find what right and save.

Why not a 92%+ condensing boiler.

I've not seen one for oil. What brand has them?
wrote in message

I've not seen any oil condensing boilers, but a couple of weeks ago I did a really nice Buderus wall hung natural gas unit. It was a piece of work, but in my opinion to complicated for something that I believe should first be extremely reliable, then secondly, be efficient. Tomorrow I'm doing a Peerless propane wall hung condensing boiler. I'm curious how it compares to the Bud. After these things have been around a while, and hopefully prove dependable, I'll consider dumping my oil burner and getting one.

Asking that is like asking a pig to whistle dixie.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Its going to be the alot more common on 4-1-07 England made condensing oil law, if I read it correctly. Alot are overseas like Grant, Mistral, Eurocal, Rotex. Maybe these oils are worth a look, Peerless Pinacle 92%, Buderus GB 125 BE 93%, Viesmann Vitoladens 300T 92% [ sounds like a vitamen co ] . Maybe a system 2000 with water heater is more efficent, I hope they are all oil units but you have time to shop. Why not dual fuel, something is always cheaper.

Its going to be the alot more common on 4-1-07 England made condensing oil law, if I read it correctly. Alot are overseas like Grant, Mistral, Eurocal, Rotex. Maybe these oils are worth a look, Peerless Pinacle 92%, Buderus GB 125 BE 93%, Viesmann Vitoladens 300T 92% [ sounds like a vitamen co ] . Maybe a system 2000 with water heater is more efficent, I hope they are all oil units but you have time to shop. Why not dual fuel, something is always cheaper.
****************************************************************** Peerless Pinnacle does not have the Btu output I need. Max is 84,000
The Viesmann offered in the US are 86.9%.
As for dual fuel, I don't have gas available and propane is just as costly as oil.
One factor that will be in my decision is the ability to have it serviced locally. New technology is great, but I don't want to be the first and only one with a new model when it breaks and it is 2 degrees and parts have to come from Europe.