buckling cedar shake siding

I just installed 2,000 worth of cedar shake siding, and didn't leave enough spacing. I glued it down to tar paper with Vulkem and used Penofin Red Label to seal it up, and now after 2 weeks of constant Portland rain, it is beginning to buckle at the seams. The guys at Lakeside Lumber want me to plop another 2 grand down and start all over, but surely there is another way... Any suggestions?
Dave Martin wrote:

yeah, that is why you leave gaps between cedar shakes! how much buckling? how wide is the exposure and how long are the shakes? if it is just a few spots, you could maybe pull off selected shakes and replace. if it is widespread I think you are screwed.
kinda curious about gluing it to tar paper with Vulkem. What is that about?
marson wrote:

umm, either a very sharp knife and trim each shake a little ( * cough * ) or if they are just glued to tarpaper how hard can it be to just pull them off and start over .
Dave Martin wrote:

Where in the world did you ever get the idea to glue cedar to tar paper? I've never heard of such a thing. It can't and won't last. If you didn't leave enough space between the shakes, I don't see any alternative to a complete tearoff and doing it right. Sorry.
Check out http://www.cedarbureau.org for the correct installation methods.
Dave Martin wrote:

Hi, Have you done it? Big time learning. To be proper. Re do it.