buckling cedar shake siding

I just installed 2,000 worth of cedar shake siding, and didn't leave enough spacing. I glued it down to tar paper with Vulkem and used Penofin Red Label to seal it up, and now after 2 weeks of constant Portland rain, it is beginning to buckle at the seams. The guys at Lakeside Lumber want me to plop another 2 grand down and start all over, but surely there is another way... Any suggestions?

Reply to
Dave Martin

yeah, that is why you leave gaps between cedar shakes! how much buckling? how wide is the exposure and how long are the shakes? if it is just a few spots, you could maybe pull off selected shakes and replace. if it is widespread I think you are screwed.

kinda curious about gluing it to tar paper with Vulkem. What is that about?

Reply to
marson

umm, either a very sharp knife and trim each shake a little ( * cough * ) or if they are just glued to tarpaper how hard can it be to just pull them off and start over .

Reply to
marks542004

Where in the world did you ever get the idea to glue cedar to tar paper? I've never heard of such a thing. It can't and won't last. If you didn't leave enough space between the shakes, I don't see any alternative to a complete tearoff and doing it right. Sorry.

Check out

for the correct installation methods.

RicodJour

Hi, Have you done it? Big time learning. To be proper. Re do it.

Reply to
Tony Hwang