Bubbling Basement Toilet

Page 2 of 2

I'm not a plumber or expert, but the one thing that stuck in my mind is that this apparently "just" started happening and is on a "random basis." To me, that would rule out a fixed obstruction, or something that has grown into place over time.
Does the event happen when multiple people might be flushing/rinsing/ showering at the same time, or can you recreate the issue with a single event (a flush, shower, dish wash, etc.)?
Do you hear gurgling or other noises from other toilets, sinks, etc.?

re: can you recreate the issue with a single event (a flush, shower, dish wash, etc.)?
As a matter of fact, I can. Here's what's happened since I posted last:
I was in the basement when I heard the BbbblewwERP! It was accompanied by the sound of the upstairs flushing.
I then took a *very* long shower in the basement bathroom. While lingering under the hot water, I started to hear the toilet gurgling. I stuck my head out and watched it as it BbbblewwERPed constantly. I turned off the shower and it stopped almost immediately. I turned the shower back on, waited about 10 seconds and it started again.
re: Do you hear gurgling or other noises from other toilets, sinks, etc.?
Not that I know of, at this point anyway.

with some helpers, look down into the vent between the house and the street sewer and play with your similar flushes and observe; add garden hose water and some detergent, and plunge it with a long handled trap plunger. observe and compare.

re: look down into the vent between the house and the street sewer
I'm not sure what you are suggesting. What "vent between the house and the street sewer" are you referring to? If you are talking about the clean-out, it's at a 45 and all you can't see more than a few inches.
re: plunge it with a long handled trap plunger
Plunge what?
on 5/25/2008 8:53 AM DerbyDad03 said the following:

I believe he meant to climb on the roof and observe (and listen) at the vent stack while someone in the house flushes the toilets. The garden hose down the vent may flush out any blockages in the vent stack (leaves, nests, etc.). I don't know what a trap plunger is, but I suppose that it would work like a toilet plunger, that is, applying air pressure to push blockages out if the garden hose water didn't flush them out.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY