Btahtub drain lever is stuck

Suddenly I cannot move the lever that moves the plug to keep the water in the tub. It is completely stuck and I cannot move it up or down. How do I fix this? Thanks
take trim off the overflow. I'm thinking its a mechanicl waste and the rocker arm has now gotten stuck in the actuator

I had this problem recently in a rental that had sat for a while empty. I took the trim off around the lever and sprayed a lot of WD40 down the hole. Then I used a big screwdriver as a pry bar and pried the mechanism up and broke it loose. Then I lubed it well and reassembled everything.
Oh, fasten your seat belts. This is gonna be a humdinger of a thread. The guy says he LUBED with WD-40. OK, folks, line up on one side of this chalk line or the other. Guys who say WD is a lubricant on this side <points> and guys who say it's a water repellant on the other side <points>. Now all you guys listen to this guy in the zebra shirt, as he explains the rules.
<ahem> Thanks, Chris. Now, guys, I want a nice clean flamewar. Now, when I blow this whistle, I want you to, yes, I do mean this whistle. OK, I was saying, now when I blow this whistl^&(&*(*(& <cough, cough> WTF you mean by making me EAT the whistle? Yeah, I know you're six foot five and..... I'm out of here! Chris, you deal with this!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus (who said not to make referees eat their whistles:

Nope. He said he "sprayed a lot of WD40 down the hole."
Then he said after he got it loose he "lubed it well and reassembled everything." Didn't say with what.
But your reply was entertaining :-)