bsmnt subfloor?

Hello everyone,
i'm finishing my basement and i'm planning to put carpet and linoleum for the floor. do i NEED a subfloor?
i'm thinking of using dricor (dricor.com) subfloor only in the bathroom and everywhere else there's carpet, to use a really good quality underlay with no subfloor. is this good practice?
winters here in edmonton are cold but however dry, so i'm not too worried about moisture and mold.
thanks for replying, all comments are appreciated.
I saw on Holmes on Homes an episode where the sub floor was insulated styrophome. Attached ( I assume a hilte gun or simular) to that was the plywood sub floor and on top of that was the carpet in this situation. Its great for a cold basement. Mike swore by it I ve never tried it but what I would do being I am comfortable with ceramic tile installation is just install ceramic tile on the clean paint free concrete that way if there is a flood or sewage back up you just rinse and disinfect.

Thanks for replying Dick,
I think I've seen that episode but I don't quite remember the details. Do you remember what kind of styrofoam it was? Was there a vapour barrier layed down first on the floor?
Dick wrote:

Did you look at Mike Holmes website ?
i did, can't find it... there's 5 seasons now of episodes to go thru... this guy has a good thing going
Rudy wrote:

Sorry I forgot the details of that wish I could remember.
Dick

Depends - Is the floor cold? Do you want more cushion?

Do you mean DriCore (www.dricore.com) ?
I have not used that product, but I created my own system for a room that us on a concrete slab. I put down a layer of poly sheeting, then laid out sleepers made from 4" wide strips of 1/2" exterior plywood. Filled in between with sheets of 1/2 inch Styrofoam. Then covered with 3/4" plywood sub floor.
This made the room much warmer and softer to walk on.
The floor is cold, especially in the winter time. Cushioning is not an issue. Yes I meant 'dricore'... thanks for the input on your subfloor... how high did it end up being?
Robert Haar wrote:

1 1/4 inches above the slab for the subfloor - carpet + pad on top of that.