Brown Stain On Ceiling, Help!

All

I have a stucco ceiling that has what appears to be brown rust stains on it. The stains appeard some time in the last month or two. In three areas there are clear blotchy redish brown stains. Two bathrooms are directly above this room. The strange thing is that the ceiling is completly dry. No indication of any wetness. Also when I open the access panel for the tub there is no indication of wetness their either. I recaulked the bathroom about two weeks ago so that may be why everything is dry now but the original caulking was not extremely bad. I also see faint specks of red brown stains throughout the ceiling for the whole room beyond the three obvious spots. This is even in spots far from the where the plumbing is. There are only brown spots in this room. If you walk out the door of the room there are no faint brown stains on that stucco ceiling.I fear that it may be mold but I sprayed it with bleach and that had no effect. Also there is no fuzziness or tackiness to the stains. Is this just a water leak or do I have more to fear here? Where do I go from here to determine if it is rust or mold? Why would I have three distinct spots about 1 to 2 feet away from each other. Can I just paint over it and hope the leak is gone? Thank you for your help.

Dan Phillips

Reply to
Dan Phillips

If its mold bleach will change its color and kill it. if not its a leak

Reply to
mark Ransley

Seal with shellac (spray-on) before painting.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

Will the shellac seal out water? If I do have a leak will it just spread to other areas? Any thoughts on why I have small specks of rust throughout the whole ceiling? Is it indicative of a small leak that has accumulated over time?

Reply to
Dan Phillips

Sounds like projectile diahrea.. mark Ransley been over for a visit lately?

Reply to
Strangle'a Mormonn

Reply to
Dan Phillips

When did you discover you were a genius Dan?

Reply to
Nucking Futz

It was Tub Lady

Any oil spray paint will seal it, If it not mold its a leak. Hd sells cheap moisture meters

Reply to
mark Ransley

I can't guess whether or not you've fixed the leak, but there is a product called Covers Up, made by Zinsser that is a vertical spray tip paint specifically designed to cover up stains on a white (flat paint) ceiling. I haven't used it, but we got a free can. Seems easy enought to use, but I'd wear a hat & protective glasses & a mask, etc.

Reply to
montana

Reply to
nospambob