Bronze Pump

I used to like to buy bronze pumps because you could always repair them. Guess what, you cant get parts for them anymore.
I used to like to buy bronze pumps because you could always repair them. Guess what, you cant get parts for them anymore.
I find it hard to believe that parts can't be obtained for ANY bronze pumps

Personally, I prefer loafers in any color.

That is not true.
On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 16:20:54 -0800 (PST), Molly Brown

A bronze pump is no more repairable than any other pump of similar design.
What manufacturer of a bronze pumps are you talking about? Why are you using bronze? What specifically are you trying to repair?

BELL AND GOSSETT
BRONZE BODY CIRCULATOR SLC-25B
On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 14:39:20 -0800 (PST), Molly Brown

For $100 you can replace the whole pump with an current model.

BELL AND GOSSETT
BRONZE BODY CIRCULATOR SLC-25B
That's an old pump and it is obsolete. It's been replaced by NBF-22. Bronze pumps are considerably more expensive than iron pumps, and parts for either should be obtainable if the pump is current. Unless you have a need for Bronze, you could save some $$

Funny, I always thought that current was the opposite of obsolete. Bronze as a metal doesnt seem to get obsolete; its still expensive as heck. Sure I want to save money; thats why I thought I bought a good quality pump that I could repair.

snip

The extra cost of bronze can only be explained by code requirements or an irrational concern about lead content in a cast iron pump. It has nothing to do with being easier to repair.
On Jan 6, 3:46am, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

I have many 50yr and 1, 80 yr old bronze pumps now working, no cast pump would have been working 30 years ago, they would have rusted away. Its more than code its simple longevity and knowing you have less to worry about. I clean them, replace switches and wires, and motors, remove garbage from the pit, but no new pumps.

I have many 50yr and 1, 80 yr old bronze pumps now working, no cast pump would have been working 30 years ago, they would have rusted away. Its more than code its simple longevity and knowing you have less to worry about. I clean them, replace switches and wires, and motors, remove garbage from the pit, but no new pumps.
You are comparing a domestic hydronic circulator pump with a sump pump. It isn't sitting submerged in a pit

Exactly. I was expecting to use it for 160 years since it WASNT sitting submerged in a pit.

Exactly. I was expecting to use it for 160 years since it WASNT sitting submerged in a pit.
But it wasn't the bronze that wore out. The parts that wear out are the same as those on iron pumps.

Right again. Thanks to companies like Bell and Gossett I am not getting my moneys worth from the bronze pump because they dont care enough about their product as much as I did to keep making parts for it.

Just exactly what needs to be replaced? Bearings, shaft, seal, gaskets, impeller, coupling, housing?
On Jan 7, 4:39am, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Seals, gasket and impeller.
On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 01:32:17 -0800 (PST), Molly Brown

Aftermarket seals that will fit the dimensions of that pump will always be available. You can make your own gaskets. Are you sure the parts for the cast iron variety of that pump doesn't include a stainless impeller that will fit yours?
On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 01:32:17 -0800 (PST), Molly Brown

You may already have this info but can you find the impeller here:
http://www.bellgossett.com/literature/files/2922.pdf
http://www.bellgossett.com/literature/files/2926.pdf
On Jan 8, 5:04am, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

What you got there isn't even close to what I got.