broken turn off valve on toilet

------------------------------------- Help. I have purchased two turn off valves to replace a broken one and neither work!
The water feed will not come through although the water is turned and there is water pressure.
Any suggestions about what I am doing wrong?

At this point you're in over your head--get a plumber
Faye Handy wrote:

It's common to report something "doesn't do what it is supposed to do," but what really helps is a description of what the situation DOES DO when activated.
Question: Do you have the (I assume) toilet connected when you attempt to operate the valve? If so, maybe the toilet is full?
Faye Handy wrote:

Seems like not enough information to be able to help you.
Are you sure the original shutoff valve was broken instead of there being something else wrong that is preventing the tank from filling? -- such as a problem with the fill valve?
What type of shutoff valve did you take off and what type(s) did you put on? -- soldered fittings, threaded fittings, push-on type new valve fitting?
Is it an angle valve or a straight valve?
It seems highly unlikely to me that your original valve and two new valves all do not allow the water supply to flow through them.

Off course the check for all this is to see whether any water flows without any shutoff valve. Maybe I should bet that there is a secondary shutoff valve, like I hve in my basement for all water to the second floor bathroom.
--
Best regards
Han
On 08/07/2011 04:57 PM, RogerT wrote:

Have you tried removing the valve, putting a bucket over the stub of pipe (or perhaps purchasing a length of vinyl tubing that you can stick over the outside of the pipe and then dangle in a bucket) and then turn on the main water shutoff again to flush the pipe?
also, are you testing this with the toilet hooked up, or the fill hose for the toilet dangling in a bucket? it's possible that your fill valve for the toilet is stuck and/or clogged as well.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel