Broken showerhead wall pipe

My wife started to remove the showerhead pipe that goes to the wall and when she started to turn the pipe it broke leaving part of the pipe still in the wall and now I cant seem to find a way to remove that left over pipe, so I cant put in another pipe until I remove the old one. Can someone help me on removal of that piece still left in the wall? Thank you...Tony
You might try a nipple extractor, and if that doesn't work, a little demolition could be in order. Tom snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Start with one of these http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId(191-943-05212&lpage=none
internal pipe wrench

There is a tool (various sizes) with a claw that works inside pipes. When you turn the tool shaft the claw rotates gripping the inside of the pipe allowing you to rotate it. About the same way a basin wrench works. MLD
Chances are if it rotted through and broke off, you're not getting it out. If you can get behind the wall all the better, cut a small hole from the back, cut out the pipe and repair, then hang a mirror over it if you're not up to patching the wall. If the backside is not accessible then your going to have to do some repair. No easy way around this one.
Alan

BTDT. Before you take a hammer to the wall, try this- Buy one of those one-ended hacksaws, and saw through the inside of the rotted-off section of pipe. Yes, you will also be sawing through the threads on the inside of the bronze casting. Once you cut the slit, use a skinny punch or drift and a hammer, to get a corner of the metal of the rotted-off part turned up. Grab that corner with narrow-nose vise-grips, or if your hands are strong, with needle-nose pliers. If you lived a clean life and the gods are amused, you may then be able to peel the thing out of there like an orange rind. You may need to cut more than one slot to get it to collapse on itself. Now, when you install the new nipple, use twice the normal amount of teflon tape- it should seal the cracks enough to make it all not drip. It won't work in the middle of a pipe run, but six inches from the shower head, water will take the easier way out. Note that after a McGyver repair like this, showerheads with shutoff valve or diverter valve, like for a hand-held shower, are not recommended.
It may not work, but you won't be any worse off than your are now. If you end up having to open the wall, you will want to replace the bronze casting anyway, just on principle.
aem sends...
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Check the room adjacent to the plumbing. Shower/bath plumbing is usually in a wall which serves as a back or side wall of a closet in the adjacent room. If so, cut a hole in the closet wall to get to the plumbing. You might be able to get a pipe wrench on the broken pipe. Douse it with liquid wrench or WD-40 before you start. If successful, you can either patch the closet wall up after you are done, or if not a big hole, screw a piece of plywood over the hole so you can get to it easier next time.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

All good advice, start with the least destructive first. The inside pipe wrench looks intersesting . I have never seen one before but I have a table that the legs lock into place using the same type of mechanism, interesting. I have taken these out using the nipple extractor as previously mentioned and have also been able to get the pipe with needle nosed vice grip locking pliers. Good luck.