Broken PVC pipe to the house

We noticed last week the ground was unfrozen and wet between the well and house. The water was coming up from the ground like a spring then stopped when the water softer stopped running its cycle.( 1st Q-The exit tube goes to the front ditch for the softer, it freezes in the winter so I pull it back into the house unthaw and then run the water softener during the day - cant put it through the septic -heavy clay soil-so the previous owner said-wish there was a better way?)

My 2nd question is why would the pipe break between the well and the house? Is it common for this to wear out in 10-20 years?

My husband said he would dig it up in the spring but we lost our water yesterday...finally found the filter was full of mud stuff. So I hope he will do it today:>)

CathyLee

Reply to
CathyLee

call a local well service company to check it.

Reply to
rogersdawn2

Mine broke last summer. Break appeard to be under large concrete patio added by previous owners. Water coming thru into adjoining basement and crawlspace made a large mess. Bids were $$$$. I started digging in crawlspace and got lucky. Found the break. Replaced about 3ft of black poly tubing that had split for $10. Water now stays where it belongs. :)

It appears the cause of my break was that the pipe had been scuffed or scratched by previous excavation, probably during the addition in which crawlspace I was digging. I can just imagine the guys being very relieved they had not broken the pipe. But after 10 years of water pressure, it split along that scuff mark.

sdb

Reply to
sylvan butler

We dug it up ...only about 1 foot of frost in the ground...found the pipe had split just after a connection which looked like and old repair.:>) we dug the whole line and replaced from the well to the house with one continuous piece. The hardest part was waiting for the electrician to replace the wire which was 2 feet above the water line and had to be dug up...I guess it was suppose to be taped to the water line.

Being without water for couple of days makes me appreciate it soooo much.

CathyLee

Reply to
CathyLee