broken piston rod

The crankCASE is aluminum alloy. The crankSHAFT is steel

I know guys who have used JB Weld on crankcases. The repair has often started leaking oil within a year or there-abouts. You NEED to get it CLEAN before patching to stand even half a chance.

Reply to
clare

I'd like to see him mow the yard at my friend's farm - or any place that NEEDS a 13HP or larger mower - with an electric - corded or cordless. It's about a 7 hour job with a 42 inch rider including the banks of the drainage ditch at the road.

Reply to
clare

On one post he said a 2X crack, on the other a 4X crack - so mabee it'd a 2X4 hole???

Reply to
clare

A yard is made of concrete. We mow lawns.

That much land should have animals grazing it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

I'm not trying to hurt your feeling here but if your level of mechanical knowledge requires you to ask if a car engine and a lawnmower engine might use the same size piston rod, that repair is probably above your pay grade. Take it to the shop, dude ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

I said aluminum because you mentioned using lye to remove it! 'member?

Reply to
bob_villain

the same dimensions, or do cars use much bigger ones? If I look

How long does it take you with that electric lawnmower, James? Granted, you can cover 100 square feet of lawn (or do you insist on using metric equivalent) in a short amount of time.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Size of mower is not equal to type of mower power unit.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Yes - but the question was " Is crank made from steel or Al?" Might not be what he MEANT, but it is what he ASKED

Reply to
clare

I was thinking if he can, so can I.

Deodiaus

Of course it isn't equal. It is, however, dependent upon the size. Try running a 60" ZTR mower with either a battery or electrical cord.

Electric mowers are just the thing for a table top "city" lawn. When you start keeping acres manicured. . . not so much.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Should I propane weld Al crankcase cover from the inside ?

Reply to
Deodiaus

simililar job:

Deodiaus

With several thousands of dollars of equipment and some training and a lot of practice, perhaps. It is NOT a simple job

Reply to
clare

Propane WELD????? You ARE out of your depth. TOTALLY. Even to aluminum braze that block takes more than you have - both heat and expertise.

Reply to
clare

Not even close - and even it is not worth the effort he'll put into it

Reply to
clare

see

I was thinking of building a backcast out of plaster on the outside or just sand to keep it from melting away in case I get too hot. Then just heat it up from the inside to reseal the hole.

Reply to
Deodiaus

Propane weld? Are you using straight propane? Not hot enough.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Sure, go for it. Be sure to report back with the results.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"An electric lawn mower is still suitable for large gardens as range is only limited to the length of extension lead you can get, and there are also powerful models available."

Reply to
James Wilkinson