Broken garage door cable-need to close door

My daughter tried to shut the garage door (automatic door opener) with an upright metal bar in the way. The door must have hit the bar pretty hard before retracting. The cable on one side ended up looping around the tension rod and the garage door was (and is still) stuck crooked and lopsided in the open position. In a novice effort to rewind the cable, I detached it from the door. Once I did that the entire cable fell off. This all happened after business hours and I would really like to figure out a way to get my garage door shut tonight and hope I can get a repairman to fix it tomorrow. The house is less than 2 years old. The spring is not visibly broken. The door does not appear to detach from the electric opener, even after pulling the emergency disconnect cord several times. Any suggestions for getting the door down? Is there a way to reattach the cable to the drum? Any help will be greatly appreciated!
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Back off, leave it alone and call a professional in.
Your post makes it evident that you don't know what you are doing and you probably also aren't aware that you could suffer a very serious injury from those torsion springs.
Sorry for your problem, but if you are concerned about the door being open, you'd be safer sitting up in a chair in the garage all night than messing with it any more.
Oh, and one more thing, charge your daughter for the repairs, it'll be a lesson well learned. <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

I'll second that, I learned rewinding torsion rods installing 2 of my own, & I managed to do it twice without injury. However, it is hard and dangerous.
I'm trying to picture your situation! Where is the bottom of the door? Up near the ceiling?, halfway down the door opening?, nearly down to the floor? ... where did it stop when it retracted?
The "emergency" release which you say will not release is likely jambed ... is the metal bar (attached to the door at one end, and the chain drive at the other) still close to vertical ... or is it cocked at an angle?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

The bottom of the door it up near the ceiling. It stopped retracting at the top of the last section of the door (the section that would be touching the ground if the door was shut). The door can be pushed completely up or pull down only to the top of the bottom door section. The metal bar is at an angle, not severe, but definitely not vertical.

and the cable that is off is on the left side. The wheel nearest the top of the door on the right side came off but I was able to reattach it and it's back in it's track. The left side of the door droops lower than the right side.
Thank you for your considerate response. I truly appreciate any advice. I do understand the dangers of tension springs and have no intention of messing with the spring at all. My hope was that I could perhaps rewind the cable around the drum and reattach to the drum & door and get the door down tonight.
Bankerjohn wrote:

Unless you are on the west coast, it is probably too late tonight anyway. The release may not visibly disconnect, but will allow the door to move freely. Since yours is stuck in the track, it will not move. You have to lift the lowest end to get it straight since it is stuck cocked. It is also possible you will end up getting the weight of the door in your hands and injure yourself.
Probably much safer and less risky to just leave it alone for the night.