broken electric snake, what happened.

I was using my "Cobra Sewer Machines LX1000" for the first freaking time.
I ran the line through my drain and put it back. Used the unit very lightly. I checked the drain about 2 hours later and thought that it needed a little more work. I plugged it back in and it was dead.
The only problem I have is that when I first plug it in the GFCI on the plug of the unit clicks off. I can reset it but the unit still doesn't work. The motor also has a reset button that doesn't fix the problem.
Any idea what I did or what happened to the motor or if it can be fixed easily? Thanks.
raymondj wrote:

Sounds like the motor (or some other part) may have gotten wet. Let it dry overnight and see..
Jim

Nope, it's toast. I doubt any part of the motor got wet. First there was very little water anywere, the motor seems sealed everywhere except from the back and the snake goes into a drum that prevents water from getting through it and drains out of the bottom.
Since the Gf is opening I suspect a short. Except that when you reset it, it doesn't click off again? Does it even hum or anything? If it's a two stage motor could be the starting circuit. If it clicks off when you plug it in with the switch OFF, you may be lucky, and the short is between the plug and the switch. A short short. Maybe you over twisted the power cord or ran over it. Get out your ohm meter or test light and check for shorts. WITH THE MACHINE UNPLUGGED!!!! Check it with switch on and off, Gf on off, from each prong to the motor housing, to the frame,every kind of combination you can think of. Since it's new there may be a loose screw or connection so I might even take off any cover over the connections, but I wouldn't get involved in opening the motor to check the starting circuit or commutator. Just commute with it back to where you got it. If it was only summer time I would commute over to the park and check for short shorts myself.