Broken brick

A brick broke on the step and you can lift out the entire brick. I can't replace it, simply, because the brick has been cut to size in two dimensions. I can't leave it like it is because if it comes loose when somebody is stepping on it they'll fall down. What do I need to do to re-attach the brick to the step? Thanks -- Mike

Not too difficult if you have the original brick in usable condition. There are several articles on the internet giving DIY instructions. One quick example is: http://www.bhg.com/bhg/printableStory.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/bhg/step-by-step/data/hie_271.xml&AID 285370&PIDq4502&SID1965 which is probably so long that it has wrapped so be careful. In any case just go to Google and enter "DIY replace brick" (without the quotes of course) and some instructions will show up. I've been slowly replacing bricks in a huge retaining wall and am getting to be pretty good at it despite the original bricks being around 150 years old and of an odd size which is not obtainable. The first one five years ago was a real monster and took over an hour but now I can do ten an hour when I get down to it.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

If the surrounding area is sound, you might try some masonry adhesive.
It comes in a tube like caulk & is in the paint department of my local Lowes & Home Depot. [My local Ace Hardware has it in their glue & adhesives section.]
Jim