Broken Braun Shaver

Hello
I have a mdium-old rechargeable Braun shaver which stopped working. The oddity is that it charges fine and also it runs fine if I take the foil off. If I put the foil back on, it's inert. I looked over the foil/screen and there is no damage apparent. Any idea? Thanks.

Is this a model where the foil assembly also has a trimmer? If so, the trimmer could be seized, or perhaps its linkage isn't engaging properly and jamming the motor.
If not, it could be a weak motor. How easy is it to stop the motor by applying resistance to the blades?
Dave
Dave D wrote:

Hi...
Another possibility? Possible since it's "medium old", the batteries have reached that point where they can deliver susfficient current to spin the motor unloaded, but not enough under load...
Quick and dirty test for that would be (again) to carefully touch some moving part with the foil off; see how easy it is to stall it.
Ken

Certainly possible, and the most likely answer, but I assumed the fault was evident on both batteries and mains.

That could also indicate a weak motor or seized components. If it's like my old Braun shaver it has a built in SMPS and intelligent charging circuit, there could also be a fault there.
Dave
Always suspect the batteries first!
Charles Schuler wrote:

You may have a point. :-)
The shaver is a model 5471, with the popup "long hair trimmer". I checked all the linkages and cleaned everything possible, and the shaver (and the popup thing) only would work with the foil taken off. Same situation with the thing pluged in, so I thought the battery was fine, but I let it charge overnight, it acted the same, but by the second day of lying unused, the battery was dead. Survey says ... battery problem.
At this point I assume the answer is just to write the thing off and get a get shaver. Thanks for the help.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

If you have some spare rechargeable batteries you could try soldering one in to see if this was the cause. If it doesn't work, all you lose is your time, but it would be nice to know what the cause was.
Chris
Thus spake snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com:

If you're a good solderer, you can replace the battery. I've replaced the one in my Braun once and the shaver is still going after 5 years.
You have to be careful when soldering batteries without tabs (best to buy a battery with tabs), but it can be done. Google for details, or post here that you intend to replace the battery and I'll describe it.
Good luck
--
Please, no "Go Google this" replies. I wouldn\'t
ask a question here if I hadn\'t done that already.