Broiler Shuts off by itself

At that age, my first inclination would be that the burner orifices are plugged so gas flow is restricted from years of accumulated crud (both internal from the gas and external). Clean them and see if problem doesn't resolve itself.

--

Reply to
dpb

A couple times in the last 2 weeks the broiler in the gas range we use in the kitchen shut off by itself. The light on the countertop was still on, yet there wasn't any flame. In each case I had also been cooking something on the stovetop. After I shut off the stovetop, I checked the oven again and found the fire had gone out. It had been on when after I shut the stovetop. I

Not sure what to do. The stove is GE range about 30 years old. The serial and model numbers have been washed away though past cleanings. Anyone know have any suggestions?

Reply to
Charlie S.

Sorry correction. The broiler was still lit after I shut off the stovetop. Yet, when I checked a few minutes later the burners had stopped working.

Reply to
Charlie S.

I agree. An early indicator of clogged burner orifices would be a weak yellow flame and not the bright blue flame.

-- Oren

Reply to
Oren

Thanks for the advice. Will I have to take off the orifaces to clean them? Or, can I simply use some sort of wire brush to clear away whatever may be clogging them up?

Reply to
Charlie S.

Personally, I would remove the burner and clean it. Paper clips, stiff wire, small nail, awl, or wire brush to clean the ports. Then I can examine the burner and work easier.

E How link here if you clean it in place.

Oren

Reply to
Oren

Thanks, will check out the site later. Just curious though, if I do take the edifice off, is there a gas shut off valve I have close first?

Reply to
Charlie S.

"edifice"?!!!

-- Oren

Reply to
Oren

Oops! I guess the spell check doesn't edit for brain malfunctions.

Orifice

Reply to
Charlie S.