Broiler Element (Calrod) in Old GE Range Doesn't Get Hot Enough

It seems it gets hot, but doesn't glow. It took 3X normal time to do lambchops tonight. I thought they just went, not reduced heat. Do I just need a new one, or could something else be wrong? Thankyou for your help! Frank
Frank,
Look at the wires connecting the broiler element. Sounds like a bad connection. Be sure the power is off and the stove cool when you do this.
Dave M.
I assume that this is a 220V stove/range. Measure the voltage (carefully) at the connection of the element to see if you have full voltage there as compared to the line voltage. The other poster is correct that most likely it is a faulty connection either loose, corroded or overheated which is now acting like a resistor. frank1492 wrote:

Thanks all for your advice. I'll check the connection, then the voltage. Am I right in assuming that these elements are either OK or that the resistance is open, no middle ground? Thanks again. Frank