bringing wires out of junction box to the other side of wall?

I have a junction box on the outside of a drywall, and I want to bring some wires to the inside of the wall and route it elsewhere.

If I punch out the bottom hole in the junction box and and also drill a hole in the drywall, I can bring the wires through to the inside. But I was told this is not to code because the wires can scrape on the edge of the hole at the bottom of the junction box.

What is the correct thing to add to make this code compliant?

Reply to
John

buffalobill

You don't bring "wires" into a box unless they are in some type of conduit. You bring cables into a box through the appropriate type of connector for the type cable used. If you want to enter the box with a nm type cable (Romex) you use a Romex connector

Reply to
RBM

Some boxes can handle wires through the back; but honestly, if you have to ask this question you shouldn't be thinking about doing your own wiring.

Reply to
Toller

FWIW, they do make plastic "snap in" cable connectors for NM cable which can be inserted from the inside if a metal junction box. They are code compliant where I live, YMMV.

or, another manufacturer's style at:

As others have indicated, I hope you know what you're about John, if you do, it should be an easy job to do what you want to do.

If you don,t, then.....

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Thanks. I can handle the electricity. It's code compliance that gets me.

Reply to
John