Brine tank overflow

We woke up this morning to find that the brine tank overflowed. We were neg ligent this last week and didn't fill it with salt. Also, I just installed a water pressure tank and there was a lot of black earth residue at the bot tom of the brine tank (and in all the lines of the house) that I have now c leaned out. Should I just put salt in it and regenerate, or is there somet hing else I should do?
Thanks.
Michael,
It may help if you tell us what brand of water softener you have. Sounds as if one of the valves is not closing tight. With the "residue" problem I'm thinking that you need to flush the crap out of your holding tank and pipes. Get the crud out of the brine tank too. Once your water is fairly clear run the softener through a few cycles without salt to flush the crud out of the valves. If that does it, great. If not you'llneed to clean or rebuild the valves.
Dave M.
David L. Martel wrote:

+1. Dirt maybe plugging up the float valve orifice.
On Wednesday, August 27, 2014 7:50:26 AM UTC-5, David L. Martel wrote:

It's a Kinetico two-tank system. I'll try to flush it and see if that takes care of it. Thanks for the help to you and the other posters.
Mike
On 8/27/2014 8:50 AM, David L. Martel wrote:

Water softener? I thought he was tanning hides.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 8/27/2014 7:27 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 05:17:58 -0700 (PDT), Michael Wilson

You can try manually flipping the valves to see if you can dislodge the chunk of crud. They are operated by the silver straps that ride the cams. It might also be crud plugging the pickup tube in the tank.
On Wednesday, August 27, 2014 9:37:56 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

ed a water pressure tank and there was a lot of black earth residue at the bottom of the brine tank (and in all the lines of the house) that I have no w cleaned out. Should I just put salt in it and regenerate, or is there so mething else I should do?

I'll have a look at the pickup tube to see if it's cruddy. Appreciate the s uggestion.
On 8/27/2014 8:17 AM, Michael Wilson wrote:

--
.
Christopher A. Young

What? There's no indication that the resin tank is clogged. Where are you getting this from? His brine tank is overflowing. How have you gone from this isuue to replacing the resin?
Dave M.
On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 12:08:41 -0400, "David Martel"

I had a water softener that used a timed valve to determine how much water to put in the brine tank and the valve stuck twice, pumping salt and water all over the basement floor. The fix was simple - a float controlled valve in a tube down the side of the brine tank like all the "cheap" softeners use. Low tech and effective - never another overflow untill I scrapped it and replaced it with a new one about 8-10 years later. And the new one?? It uses a float too!!.