Brine tank overflow

We woke up this morning to find that the brine tank overflowed. We were neg ligent this last week and didn't fill it with salt. Also, I just installed a water pressure tank and there was a lot of black earth residue at the bot tom of the brine tank (and in all the lines of the house) that I have now c leaned out. Should I just put salt in it and regenerate, or is there somet hing else I should do?

Thanks.

Reply to
Michael Wilson

Michael,

It may help if you tell us what brand of water softener you have. Sounds as if one of the valves is not closing tight. With the "residue" problem I'm thinking that you need to flush the crap out of your holding tank and pipes. Get the crud out of the brine tank too. Once your water is fairly clear run the softener through a few cycles without salt to flush the crud out of the valves. If that does it, great. If not you'llneed to clean or rebuild the valves.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

You can try manually flipping the valves to see if you can dislodge the chunk of crud. They are operated by the silver straps that ride the cams. It might also be crud plugging the pickup tube in the tank.

Reply to
gfretwell

Hi,

+1. Dirt maybe plugging up the float valve orifice.
Reply to
Tony Hwang

It's a Kinetico two-tank system. I'll try to flush it and see if that takes care of it. Thanks for the help to you and the other posters.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Wilson

negligent this last week and didn't fill it with salt. Also, I just install ed a water pressure tank and there was a lot of black earth residue at the bottom of the brine tank (and in all the lines of the house) that I have no w cleaned out. Should I just put salt in it and regenerate, or is there so mething else I should do?

I'll have a look at the pickup tube to see if it's cruddy. Appreciate the s uggestion.

Reply to
Michael Wilson

Water softener? I thought he was tanning hides.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What kind of hides are you tanning?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Nah, curing hams and corned beef.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Oren,

What? There's no indication that the resin tank is clogged. Where are you getting this from? His brine tank is overflowing. How have you gone from this isuue to replacing the resin?

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

By not knowing how the water softener works.

I had a water softener that used a timed valve to determine how much water to put in the brine tank and the valve stuck twice, pumping salt and water all over the basement floor. The fix was simple - a float controlled valve in a tube down the side of the brine tank like all the "cheap" softeners use. Low tech and effective - never another overflow untill I scrapped it and replaced it with a new one about

8-10 years later. And the new one?? It uses a float too!!.
Reply to
clare