Brilliant (???) Bathroom Idea?

THere's dulled enamel, 70's avocado green bathroom tile I would like to take down. It is used as floor molding (a single course) and up to wainscoting level around a sink fixture.
Recognizing that the likelihood of successfully prying every tile loose with a crowbar diminishes proportionately with the luck of the homeowner doing it, I figure I might pry 99 of 100 tiles loose BE-OO-TIFULLY, and then the last would tunnel down to China.
So I bought a Dremel tool and figure I'd cut off all the tile that way, then replace the drywall. Can anything think of anything particularly stupid about removing tile this way?
BTW, the reason it *has* to be removed is because an elderly relative, for some god-awful reason, replaced the dull avocado floor tile in the mid 80's with bubble-gum pink-swirl 12 inchers. The place looks like H&%l.
Dont even bother trying to save he wall tile, the uneven glue or mortar residue on the back makes it unuseable. Maybe redoing the floor is best, easiest-cheapest.
<DIV>Dont even bother trying to save he wall tile, the uneven glue or mortar<BR>residue on the back makes it unuseable. Maybe redoing the floor is best,<BR>easiest-cheapest.<BR></DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#000080 size=2>I think someone has already redone the floor...which is why the poster is now compelled to replace the wall tiles.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#000080 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#000080 size=2>The question was...is the method of removal ok or is it particularly stupid (to paraphrase).</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML> ------=
I thought reusing tile was his idea. I have never seen a wall that did not have to be redone after removing tile. You are best to figure in the cost of new walls, whatever the outcome that is what is most likely to happen, that tile was put on to stay there.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Is that H E double toothpicks?
--
dadiOH
____________________________

I'm about to redo our kitchen, which will include removing the tiled backsplash. I'm figuring I will just cut the drywall down to the studs, pry and peel the whole mess off in chunks as large as I can handle at once.
DJ
David '04 KTM 200EXC djones<at>LSidaho.com http://www.motosports-boise.com/rmd
I had Pepto-Bizmol-pink tile. I rented a chipping hammer, ran it along the studs, then used an angle grinder to cut the mesh that was attached to the studs before the mortar was put on. Pointless to try to save anything.

You can use the dremel to cut the wall board above the tile and then pry the whole mess off the studs. If you think the dremel is going to cut the tile or the grout you are about to be disappointed.
The low tech way is to start at the top wearing heavy leather gloves sing a flat ply bar and a hammer.
Colbyt
Dremel = dust and a mess. I would never consider a Dremel, A hammer and bar are better.
Colbyt wrote:

Say WHAT? You mean the tool can't be used on simple grout?
TO make my original post more clear, I don't have any intention of re-using or repairing the ugly avocado tile. N-N0!!! I'm throwing it out. But I *did* buy the Dremel Tool partly 'cause I was told it would dig out grout (not acrylic grout, old-fashioned sand-based grout) in other parts of the bathroom. There's this ugly pink sand-based grout disintegrating on the 12" floor tiles, and I figured I'd regrout with a siena or terra cotta color and keep my fingers crossed that THAT would trick the eye into thinking the pink in the tiles wasn't really pink but something more fashionable.
Sweet Jaysus, I'm watching a religious show I watch every Saturday night and thinking it's lucky the Virgin Mary didn't live in the U.S. I think Jesus Himself would have cussed like a sailor if He had to do all the grunt work for His Mom.
Rant OFF.
Waiste of time

you are going to burn up a lot of bits on the wall tile. Buy yourself a set of safety glass also. Would hate to see you lose an eye when one of the bits snaps off.
And yes I mean you can't believe everything you see advertised on TV.
Colbyt

bit once. But if you're doing a big job, I would recommend having a spare or two. The first time, I broke the tip off, and I continued using the rest of the bit. The angled fixture works well to steady the bit, and the nubs help keep it in line. I think it works great.
Dave.
Pick up a set of el-cheapo diamond bits from HF, they work pretty good for that application. RJ

Thanks. I have a confession to make, though. I used the term Dremel Tool, but it's really a Craftsman. I wonder what Dave meant when he talks about "the angled fixture" working well. Is this something exclusive to real Dremel Tools, because my Craftsman is straight light a portable cordless screwdriver.
dunno, my Dremel is straight too, I used the router base attachment for cutting grout, made it easier to control. RJ